Eyes, Nose, Lips
|"Eyes, Nose, Lips"|
|Single by Taeyang|
|from the album Rise|
|Released||June 3, 2014|
|Taeyang singles chronology|
"Eyes, Nose, Lips" is a song recorded by South Korean singer Taeyang, serving as the second single for his second studio album Rise (2014). It was written by Teddy and Taeyang. The song peaked atop the Gaon Digital Chart and the K-Pop Hot 100, and went to become the second best-performing single of 2014.
Background and composition
On May 29, 2014, YG Entertainment announced the song as the title track of the album, and will be released simultaneously with the album on June 3, with the music video. Taeyang talked about the song with Billboard, saying it was the last song that was completed from the album, and was the reason of releasing the album. He also described the process of creating the song, saying, "While Teddy was writing out the chords, Becca came along and wrote out the melody on the spot. I liked it so much, and I believed I could put a fresh feel to it with my voice. After finishing the demo recordings, I discussed my personal experiences with Teddy, which he thought would be cool to incorporate as lyrics. We were able to write a song together about missing an old lover, reminiscing about their eyes, nose and lips. It's a very emotional track.".
"Eyes, Nose, Lips" was described as "an R&B-style song with a solid piano sound" accompanying the singer's "appealing vocals." Composed using common time in the key of C major, with a moderate tempo of 72 to 76 beats per minute, the song features the lyrics "I can’t erase you even when you’re gone / I still remember your eyes, nose, lips, touch and your small nails," and "Can I ever see you again just for a moment, or even by chance / I get anxious day by day" that expresses a faint longing for the past loved one. The Star Online noted that the track is a "heartfelt love song that's heavy on the piano and low on audio enhancements."
Taeyang's performed the song for the first time was on Inkigayo on June 6, 2014. His second comeback stage which was on M! Countdown. He also performed it at the talk show You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook.
On June 15, YG Entertainment announced a "cover project" in which its artists will be covering songs from others. Akdong Musician were the first to release a cover of "Eyes, Nose, Lips." Tablo covered the song with a rap version and Taeyang appeared during its bridge part. Lydia Paek was the third YG Family artist to cover the song for the project.
"Eyes, Nose, Lips" received universal acclaim, being named one of the best songs of the year and winning many awards. Melody L. Goh from The Star Online wrote that Taeyang "may have just hit musical gold" with the song, while Douglas Markowitz of Miami New Times stated that, "even if you can't understand the lyrics, you can feel the passion in his voice." Jakob Dorof of Noisey described the single as "painfully pretty as must be the girl it describes" and complimented the single's "carefully counted build towards one of the year's most well deserved key change catharses." Scott Interrante of PopMatters wrote that "Eyes, Nose, Lips" is "emotionally powerful" and admired Tayeang's vocals and the music video. Additionally, Kult Scene said that Taeyang "lets the listeners feel the sadness and anger of the situation stated in the track" and added that "Eyes, Nose, Lips" is the most vulnerable song from the singer and "one that will go down as one of his best songs."
- Year-end lists
|IZM Magazine||2014 Singles of the Year||2|||
|Channel V Asia||15 Best K-Pop Songs From 2014||1|||
|PopMatters||The Best K-pop of 2014||8|||
|Noisey||The 20 Best K-Pop Songs of 2014||14|||
|Kult Scene||Top 20 K-Pop Songs of 2014||19|||
Upon its release, the song debuted at number one on Gaon's Digital and Download charts, selling 322,577 copies on its first week. On the Streaming Chart, the single reached a peak position of number one on its second week, following a top three debut. "Eyes, Nose, Lips" remained at the first position in the Streaming Chart for five consecutive weeks. The song topped the June monthly Digital, Download and Streaming charts, with 765,833 downloads with 21.7 streams. "Eyes, Nose, Lips" was the second best performing single of 2014 in South Korea, with 1,613,109 downloads and 74.7 million streams by the end of the year.
"Eyes, Nose, Lips" debuted on Billboard's K-Pop Hot 100 at number 34. The following week the song jumped to number one on the chart, giving Taeyang his first solo chart-topper and his third overall, counting with his band Big Bang's two number ones. The song charted third on Billboard's World Digital Singles.
|2014||Melon Music Awards||Best R&B/Soul Award||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||Won|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Song of the Year||Won|||
|Best Vocal Performance - Male||Won|
|2015||Golden Disc Awards||Song of the Year||Won|||
|Gaon Chart Music Awards||Best Song of June||Won|||
|Myx Music Awards||Favorite K-Pop Video||Nominated|||
|"Eyes, Nose, Lips"||Inkigayo (SBS)||June 15, 2014|
|June 22, 2014|
|July 6, 2014|
|M! Countdown (Mnet)||June 12, 2014|
|June 19, 2014|
|July 3, 2014|
|Show! Music Core (MBC)||June 14, 2014|
|Music Bank (KBS)||June 20, 2014|
|South Korea (Gaon Digital Chart)||1|
|US Billboard K-Pop Hot 200||1|
|US Billboard World Digital Chart||3|
- "YANG, "TAEYANG's sole title track of 2nd full album 'EYES, NOSE, LIPS': Excited"". YG Life. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Benjamin, Jeff; Oak, Jessica (September 7, 2014). "Taeyang Gives Track-By-Track Review of Record-Breaking 'Rise' Album (Exclusive Video)". Billboard. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "[JUKE BOX] 'RISE,' the Evolution of TAEYANG…. Reveals the Secret of His Comeback in 4 Years". YG Life. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- ""Eyes, Nose, Lips" Sheet Music (Piano Solo) in C Major". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- "Taeyang releases latest album, 'Rise'". The Star. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "'인기가요' 태양, 솔로 컴백 무대…지드래곤 지원사격". hankyung. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "[Photo] Taeyang Rises to No. 1 on ′M COUNTDOWN′". Mwave. Mnet. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- "[Exclusive] TAEYANG's first "Sketchbook" since comeback: Filming on 24th". YG Life. Star News. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- "G-Dragon calls AKMU 'cute'". Korea Herald. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- "TABLO X TAEYANG – "EYES, NOSE, LIPS(눈, 코, 입)" COVER VIDEO & LYRICS". YG Life. Retrieved June 25, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "LYDIA - '눈,코,입(EYES, NOSE, LIPS)' COVER VIDEO".
- Markowitz, Douglas (July 18, 2017). "A K-Pop Primer to Prepare You for G-Dragon's Miami Show". Miami New Times. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- "The 20 Best K-Pop Songs of 2014". Noisey. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "The Best K-pop of 2014". Pop Matters. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Top 20 K-Pop Songs of 2014". Kult Scene. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "2014 올해의 가요 싱글". IZM Magazine (in Korean). Retrieved August 25, 2017.
- "15 BEST KPOP songs from 2014". Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "2014 Gaon Digital Chart - Week 24". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "2014 Gaon Download Chart - Week 24". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Eyes, Nose, Lips" on Gaon Streaming Chart
- "2014년 24주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "2014년 25주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "2014년 26주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "2014년 27주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "2014년 28주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "2014년 29주차 Streaming Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "Eues, Nose, Lips" on Monthly Charts
- "Eyes, Nose, Lips" on Yearly Charts
- "K-Pop Star Taeyang Hits Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Winners from the '2014 MelOn Music Awards'!". Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Mnet Asian Music Awards 2014 Winners". Mnet Asian Music Awards. Archived from the original on 4 May 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Winners from the '29th Golden Disk Awards' (Day 1)!". Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Winners from the 4th Gaon Chart K-POP Awards". Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Myx Music Awards 2015". Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- "Eyes, Nose, Lips & 1AM (US World)". (Subscription required (help)).
- "GAON's observation notes". Gaon Chart. Retrieved September 12, 2018.