Eyes of Innocence (Miami Sound Machine album)
|Eyes of Innocence|
|Studio album by Miami Sound Machine|
|Label||Epic, CBS Records International|
|Producer||Emilio Estefan Jr.|
|Miami Sound Machine chronology|
|Singles from Eyes Of Innocence|
This release was the first mainstream release by the Miami Sound Machine. The album was filled with dance-oriented music and became the band's breakthrough album due to the success of the lead single, the dance hit "Dr. Beat", a top 20 hit in Australia, the United Kingdom and other places in Europe.
"Dr. Beat," a dance-pop song was the most successful cut from the album; the song utilizes synthesizers and dance rhythms of the time, but distinguished itself from other pop music of the era through the inclusion of Latin sounds.
The second single "Prisoner of Love" was released exclusively to the European market, which was responding much better to the album than the American market had. However, the song, which had a similar sound to the past single, was not a hit like the lead single and was a commercial failure only reaching the Top #98 of the UK singles chart.
Due the failure of the single "Prisoner of Love", another single was released to the American market, "I Need a Man" (a different song from the Eurythmics hit), but it too bombed, failing to even enter the dance charts.
With the failure of the last two singles, no more singles were released to promote the album except in the Philippines, where "I Need Your Love" was issued as a promo single only; again, it failed to impact any chart.
Many of the songs from the album were originally written in Spanish and translated into English, including "Orange Express", which was the main theme of the band's previous album A Toda Máquina, and "I Need Your Love", a translation of the song "Regresa a Mí".
As of 2008, the album has sold more than one million copies worldwide.
|1.||"Dr. Beat"||Enrique E. Garcia||4:26|
|2.||"Prisoner of Love"||Enrique E. Garcia||4:00|
|3.||"Ok"||Wesley B. Wright||4:12|
|4.||"Love Me"||Gloria M. Estefan||4:15|
|5.||"Orange Express"||S. Watanabe, Wesley B. Wright||3:45|
|6.||"I Need a Man"||Enrique E. Garcia||3:40|
|7.||"Eyes of Innocence"||Gustavo Lezcano||3:04|
|8.||"When Someone Comes Into Your Life"||Gloria M. Estefan||4:59|
|9.||"I Need Your Love"||Enrique E. Garcia||4:38|
|10.||"Do You Want to Dance?"||Enrique E. Garcia||3:40|
|2009 Japan Mini-LP CD Series Reissue Track Listing|
|11.||"I Need a Man (Instrumental Version)" (Bonus Track)||Enrique E. Garcia||5:58|
|12.||"Dr. Beat (Long Version)" (Bonus Track)||Enrique E. Garcia||6:26|
- Gloria Estefan – lead vocal, background vocals, songwriter
- Emilio Estefan Jr. – percussion
- Enrique "Kiki" Garcia – drums
- Juan Marcos Avila – bass guitar
- Wesley B. Wright – guitar
- Roger Fisher – keyboards
- Gustavo Lezcano – harmonica
- Luis Perez – trombone
- Victor Lopez, Leo Villar – trumpet
- Betty Cortez – synthesizer
- Rubens Basini – guest musician
- Joe Galdo – guest musician
- Eddie Calle – guest musician
- Lawrence Dermer – guest musician
- Pablo Flores – guest musician
- John Morales – guest musician
- Sammy Vargas – guest musician
- Emilio Estefan Jr. – producer
- Miami Sound Machine – arranger
- Hector Garrido – arranger
- Lou Pace – arranger
- William Sanchez – arranger
- Engineer & Mixing: Eric Schilliing – engineer, mixing
- Joe Arlota – engineer, mixing
- Ted Stein – assistant
- Sean Chambers – assistant
- Sebastian Krys – assistant
- Mark Krieg – assistant
- Andrew Roshberg – assistant
- Noel Harris – assistant
- Geoff Foster – assistant
- Lance Phillips – assistant
- Javier Vacas – assistant
- Alex Sanchez – cover design
- Al Freddy – photography
- Samy – hair and makeup
|UK Albums (OCC)||20|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|U.S.||October 25, 1984|
|Europe & U.K.||October 1994|
|Japan||March 21, 1985|
- AllMusic review
- Eyes Of Innocence (1984)
- "Gloria Estefan | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "American album certifications – Estefan, Gloria & Miami Sound – Eyes of Innocence". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- 90millas.com (Official Album Website)