|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Nagpur|
22 July 1863|
Monkstown, County Cork
|Died||8 December 1950
He was born in Monkstown, County Cork on 22 July 1863 and educated at Haileybury and Imperial Service College and Trinity College, Dublin. He was ordained by Bishop Lightfoot in 1887, and began his career with a curacy at Holy Trinity, Stockton-on-Tees. He was head of the Dublin University Mission to Chhöta Nagpur from 1891 to 1900 when he returned briefly to England to be curate of St Mary Magdalene, Richmond, Surrey. In 1902 it was announced he would become the inaugural bishop of Nagpur, a post he held for 23 years. He died on 8 December 1950.
Chatterton competed on the amateur tennis tour during the 1880s, and was ranked as World No. 5 for 1885 by Karoly Mazak (and No. 6 the following year).
- The Story of Fifty Years' Mission Work in Chhota Nagpur. Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. 1901.
- With the Troops in Mesopotamia, 1916
- The Story of Gondwana. Sir I. Pitman & Sons. 1916. with Stephen Hislop and Sir Richard Carnac Temple
- A History of the Church of England in India: Since the Early Days of the East India Company. Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. 1924.
- Alex Wood, bishop of Nagpur, missionary, sportsman, philosopher: a memoir. Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. 1939.
- India Through a Bishop's Diary: Or, Memories of an Indian Diocese, by Its First Bishop. Society for promoting Christian knowledge. 1935.
- Our Anglican Church in India, 1815-1946. Indian Church Aid Association. 1946.
- "Dr. Eyre Chatterton, 87-Years old Former Bishop Of Nagpur, India, Has Died At Richmond, Surrey". Gloucester Citizen. 11 December 1950. p. 5 col E. Retrieved 2016-05-18 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- New Bishopric Of Nagpur The Times Monday, 1 December 1902; pg. 6; Issue 36939; col C
- "New Bishopric Of Nagpur". Hampshire Advertiser. 6 December 1902. p. 2 col D. Retrieved 2016-05-18 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- Obituary Bishop Eyre Chatterton The Times Monday, 11 December 1950; pg. 4; Issue 51871; col E
- Mazak, Karoly (2010). The Concise History of Tennis, p. 13.
- "Court circular". The Times (36635). London. 11 December 1901. p. 9.
- "Dr. Eyre Chatterton, Formerly Bishop Of Has Been Appointed Assistant Bishop Diocese Of Canterbury". Derby Daily Telegraph. 11 December 1926. p. 3 col B. Retrieved 2016-05-18 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- "A Scots Bride Mr Eyre Chatterton and Miss Elizabeth Hunter Blair , Daughter Of Major and Mrs Hunter". The Scotsman. 15 September 1933. p. 12. Retrieved 2016-05-18 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- Chatterton at Tennis Archives
|Church of England titles|
|New diocese||Bishop of Nagpur