Book of Ezekiel 30:13–18 in an English manuscript from the early 13th century, MS. Bodl. Or. 62, fol. 59a. A Latin translation appears in the margins with further interlineations above the Hebrew.
|Book||Book of Ezekiel|
|Hebrew Bible part||Nevi'im|
|Order in the Hebrew part||7|
|Christian Bible part||Old Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||26|
Ezekiel 13 is the thirteenth chapter of the Book of Ezekiel in the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. This book contains the prophecies attributed to the prophet Ezekiel, and is one of the Books of the Prophets. This chapter contains a rebuke on false prophets, Ezekiel 13:1-16, and false prophetesses, Ezekiel 13:17-23. .
Some early manuscripts containing the text of this chapter in Hebrew are of the Masoretic Text tradition, which includes the Codex Cairensis (895), the Petersburg Codex of the Prophets (916), Aleppo Codex (10th century), Codex Leningradensis (1008).
There is also a translation into Koine Greek known as the Septuagint, made in the last few centuries BC. Extant ancient manuscripts of the Septuagint version include Codex Vaticanus (B; B; 4th century), Codex Sinaiticus (S; BHK: S; 4th century), Codex Alexandrinus (A; A; 5th century) and Codex Marchalianus (Q; Q; 6th century).
- And say, Thus saith the Lord God;
- Woe to the women that sew pillows to all armholes,
- and make kerchiefs upon the head of every stature to hunt souls!
- Will ye hunt the souls of my people,
- and will ye save the souls alive that come unto you?
- "Kerchief" (Hebrew: מספחות mispahot; Vulgate: cervicalia): a long veil for the head that hangs down covering the whole body (also in Ezekiel 13:21).
- And will ye pollute me among my people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread,
- to slay the souls that should not die,
- and to save the souls alive that should not live,
- by your lying to my people that hear your lies?
- "For handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread": the bad actions were done "for a meager fee."
Notes and references
- Würthwein 1995, pp. 35-37.
- Würthwein 1995, pp. 73-74.
- Ezekiel 13:18
- Bromiley 1995, p. 967.
- Brown, 1994 & "מִסְפָּחוֹת".
- Gesenius, 1979 & "מִסְפָּחוֹת".
- Ezekiel 13:19
- The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Augmented Third Edition, New Revised Standard Version, Indexed. Michael D. Coogan, Marc Brettler, Carol A. Newsom, Editors. Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA; 2007. pp. 1196-1197 Hebrew Bible. ISBN 978-0195288810
- Bromiley, Geoffrey W. (1995). International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: vol. iv, Q-Z. Eerdmans.
- Brown, Francis; Briggs, Charles A.; Driver, S. R. (1994). The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon (reprint ed.). Hendrickson Publishers. ISBN 978-1565632066.
- Clements, Ronald E (1996). Ezekiel. Westminster John Knox Press. ISBN 9780664252724.
- Gesenius, H. W. F. (1979). Gesenius' Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament Scriptures: Numerically Coded to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, with an English Index. Translated by Tregelles, Samuel Prideaux (7th ed.). Baker Book House.
- Joyce, Paul M. (2009). Ezekiel: A Commentary. Continuum. ISBN 9780567483614.