Miller in July 2016 at San Diego Comic Con promoting Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
|Born||Ezra Matthew Miller
September 30, 1992
Wyckoff, New Jersey, United States
|Occupation||Actor, singer, musician, model|
Ezra Matthew Miller (born September 30, 1992) is an American actor, singer, musician and model. He made his feature film debut in the film Afterschool (2008). He starred as the title character in the drama We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) and co-starred in the film adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012). In 2015, he co-starred in the drama The Stanford Prison Experiment and in the comedy Trainwreck. He also plays Barry Allen / The Flash in the DC Extended Universe which he first appeared as in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).
Miller was born and raised in Wyckoff, New Jersey. His mother, Marta (Koch), is a modern dancer. His father, Robert S. Miller, was senior vice president and managing director of Hyperion Books, and later became a publisher at Workman Publishing. Miller has two older sisters, Saiya and Caitlin. His father is Jewish and his mother, who has German and Dutch ancestry, is from a Christian background. Ezra considers himself Jewish, and "spiritual."
When he was six, Miller started to train as an opera singer, to help him overcome a speech impediment. He has sung with the Metropolitan Opera, and performed in the American premiere of Philip Glass’s opera White Raven. He attended Rockland Country Day School and The Hudson School, dropping out after the release of the film Afterschool.
Miller began his film career in 2008 with the Antonio Campos’s Afterschool, in which he played a teenager at a boarding school. After that, Miller appeared in City Island (2009), with Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies, and Steven Strait, and co-starred in Beware the Gonzo and Every Day, both of which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival. Miller next appeared in the BBC Films movie We Need to Talk About Kevin with John C. Reilly and Tilda Swinton, which was directed and adapted by Lynne Ramsay from American author Lionel Shriver's 2003 novel of the same name. The film became a Cannes Film Festival sensation, winning critical acclaim. Miller also acted as Damien on the Showtime's hit comedy television program Californication. He appeared on Royal Pains as Tucker Bryant for two seasons. In the movie adaptation of the novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower he played Patrick, opposite Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. The film was released on September 21, 2012.
Warner Bros. announced that he will star as Barry Allen / The Flash in a live-action film adaptation of the DC Comics character The Flash set to be released in 2018. He first appeared as the character in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and will reprise the role in Justice League.
Miller has described himself as queer, specifying: "The way I would choose to identify myself wouldn’t be gay. I’ve been attracted mostly to ‘shes’ but I’ve been with many people and I’m open to love wherever it can be"; and that he has "a lot of really wonderful friends who are of very different sexes and genders. I am very much in love with no one in particular".
On June 28, 2011, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he was shooting The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Miller was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for a broken brake light, and police discovered that he had 20 grams of marijuana in his possession. He was initially charged with drug possession, but the charge was later dropped by a judge. Instead of these charges, Miller faced a penalty of $600 for two citations of disorderly conduct. Miller later commented: "I don't feel like there's any need to hide the fact that I smoke pot. It's a harmless herbal substance that increases sensory appreciation."
|2008||Busted Walk||Jay Turner||Short Film|
|2008||Californication||Damien||TV series; 5 episodes|
|2009||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Ethan Morse||TV series (1 episode: "Crush")|
|2009–2010||Royal Pains||Tucker Bryant||TV series (5 episodes)|
|2009||City Island||Vince Jr.|
|2010||Beware the Gonzo||Eddie 'Gonzo' Gilman|
|2011||Another Happy Day||Elliot|
|2011||We Need to Talk About Kevin||Kevin Khatchadourian|
|2012||The Perks of Being a Wallflower||Patrick|
|2014||Madame Bovary||Leon Dupuis|
|2015||The Stanford Prison Experiment||Daniel Culp|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Barry Allen / The Flash||Cameo|
|2016||Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||Credence Barebone||Post-Production|
|2017||Justice League||Barry Allen / The Flash||Filming|
|2018||The Flash||Barry Allen / The Flash||Pre-Production|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Another Happy Day||Hamptons International Film Festival for Breakthrough Performer||Won|
|2011||We Need to Talk About Kevin||BIFA Award for Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Young Performer||Nominated|
|2012||The Perks of Being a Wallflower||Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|Hollywood Film Festival Spotlight Award||Won|
|San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Cast||Won|
|Santa Barbara International Film Festival — Virtuoso Award||Won|
|Detroit Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|2013||MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards for Best Musical Moment (shared with Logan Lerman and Emma Watson)||Nominated|
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
- "Actor faces charges for marijuana in Peters". Post-gazette.com. 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Tribune, Pittsburgh (2011-06-25). "'Wallflower' actor faces drug chages - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review". Pittsburghlive.com. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Harvkey, Mike (2012). "Ezra Miller". Nylon Magazine. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "【イケメン発掘調査隊】第54回『少年は残酷な弓を射る』エズラ・ミラー". シネマトゥデイ.
- "Authentic movie clothing requires lots of shopping". Post-gazette.com. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Osborn, Michael (2011-10-21). "BBC News - Talk About Kevin: Portrait of a parent's worst nightmare". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Beckerman, Jim; and Rohan, Virginia. "Our picks for Oscar's top honors", The Record (Bergen County), January 25, 2012. Accessed June 7, 2012. "And what happened to Tilda Swinton, Leonardo DiCaprio and Wyckoff's Ezra Miller (a Best Supporting Actor possibility for "We Need to Talk About Kevin")?"
- Bosworth, Kate. "Ezra Miller". Interview. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Lamble, David. "The Bay Area Reporter Online | We need to talk about Ezra Miller". Ebar.com. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Walt Disney Company To Reorganise Publishing Business: Disney Publishing, Worldwide And Hyperion". Prnewswire.co.uk. 1999-04-12. Retrieved 2011-10-25. and is now the President of Macmillan's newest imprint, Flatiron Books.
- Yuan, Jada (2012-01-08). "We Need to Talk About Ezra". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Saar, Yuval (2012-01-19). "Ezra's Way (Weekend)". Haaretz. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
My father is Jewish, my mother is not, but I consider myself entirely Jewish even though according to Jewish law I am not. I encourage everyone to understand that the rules were written before anyone could do DNA tests... I know that I am a descendant of Abraham through my father." And a visit to Israel? "I definitely plan to do this.
- "Interfaith Celebrities: An Upcoming Actor, An Enduring Celebrity - InterfaithFamily". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Ezra Miller". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Lamble, David (2011-12-08). "Family estrangement". The Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Shana Naomi Krochmal (2012-08-15). "Lost & Found". Out Magazine. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- VanAirsdale, S.T. (2010-04-26). "The Verge: Ezra Miller". Movieline. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Ezra Miller Interview for Beware the Gonzo". The Cinema Source. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "Ezra Miller on 'Perks of Being a Wallflower,' Being Bisexual & More". The Daily Beast.
- Bamigboye, Baz (2011-05-13). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: 'I'm too old to be a lothario', says Jude Law". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Ezra Miller | Ezra Miller Cleared On Drug Charge". Contactmusic. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Wilkinson, Amy (2011-05-19). "Ezra Miller To Play Patrick In 'Perks of Being a Wallflower'". MTV. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "‘The Flash’ Movie to Star Ezra Miller, Out in 2018". Variety.
- "Warner Bros.' 'The Flash' Movie to Star Ezra Miller". The Hollywood Reporter. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Lawrence Ferber (2012-01-16). "Ezra Miller Says He Has Had Gay Moments". Next Magazine. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Glinow, Kiki (2011-06-29). "'Wallflower' Star Ezra Miller Busted for Marijuana Possession". Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Ezra Miller on His Roles in 'Another Happy Day' and 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' - New York Magazine". Nymag.com. 2012-01-08. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Ezra Miller Confirmed For Batman Vs. Superman". Cosmic Book News. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- Kit, Borys (July 28, 2016). "'Suicide Squad' Adds Key DC Character Weeks Before Release". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ezra Miller.|