Fédération Internationale de Roller Sports
|Type||Federation of national associations|
|Affiliations||International Olympic Committee|
The Fédération Internationale de Roller Sports (FIRS; English: International Federation of Roller Sports) is the world governing body for roller sports, including skateboarding, rink hockey, inline hockey, inline speed skating, roller derby In line alpine, downhill, and artistic roller skating. It was established in April 1924 in Montreux, Switzerland by two Swiss sportsmen, Fred Renkewitz and Otto Myer, who had close connections to the International Olympic Committee.
The FIRS gathers almost 100 national federations, including countries from every continent and they are affiliated with the International Skating Union. Park terrain skateboarding will become an Olympic sport in 2020.
The FIRS aims to foster the Roller Sports movement and participation on a global scale. Its areas of responsibility are as follows:
- Administration and Regulations
- Organizing international competitions
- Developing the movement worldwide
The authority of FIRS is recognized by the following organizations:
- International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- General Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF)
- International World Games Association (IWGA)
- Pan American Sports Organization (PASO)
FIRS recognizes the following continental confederations:
- Africa - African Confederation of Sports of Roller Skating (ACSRS)
- Europe - Confédération Européenne de Roller Skating (CERS)
- Asia - Confederation of Asia Roller Sports (CARS)
- Oceania - Oceania Confederation of Roller Sports (OCRS)
- The Americas - Confederación Panamericana de Roller Sports (CPRS)
Each continental confederation comprises or recognizes, in turn, various national governing bodies and associations.
Skating is considered to be one of the most complete physical exercises that exist and enjoys huge popularity on a world level. According to the latest estimations, there are more than 40 million habitual users of recreational skates throughout the world.
Current FIRS Roller Hockey Competitions
- Club Competitions
- National Teams Competitions
- "Hystory of the Organization of FIRS". FIRS. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- www.immagica.it, Immagica Comunicazione S.r.l. -. "ARISF Association of IOC Recognised International Sport Federation".
- "FÉDÉRATION INTERNATIONALE DE ROLLER SPORTS - Sport Olympique". 27 January 2017.
- Hernandez, Magda Liszewska (9 August 2016). "Olympic Announcement Precedes First Park Terrain Skateboarding World Championships".
- "Sportaccord Members".
- "FIRS President awards Nanjing "world capital of roller sports" title".
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to skating is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This sports-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|