Fédération française de la couture
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (January 2022)
The Fédération française de la couture, du prêt-à-porter des couturiers et des créateurs de mode (English: French Federation of Fashion and of Ready-to-Wear Couturiers and Fashion Designers) is the governing body for the French fashion industry. The Federation was created in 1973, growing out of an older trade association (which still exists within the Federation), the Chambre syndicale de la haute couture parisienne which was created in 1868. By the 1st of July 2017, the Federation removed its reference to French nationality for a more succinct title.
The Federation comprises three separate trade associations:
- Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture (English: trade association of high fashion)
- Chambre Syndicale de la Mode Masculine (English: trade association of men's (ready-to-wear) fashion)
- Chambre Syndicale du Prêt-à-Porter des Couturiers et des Créateurs de Mode (English: trade association of (women's) ready-to-wear of couturiers and fashion designers)
The Federation also has a fashion school, the École de la chambre syndicale de la couture parisienne (created in 1927 and still active). Alumni of the school include Valentino Garavani, Yves Saint Laurent, Karl Lagerfeld, André Courreges, Issey Miyake, Anne Valerie Hash, Alexis Mabille, Tomas Maier, Nicole Miller, Stephane Rolland, Victor Joris.
The Federation has close ties to the Union Nationale Artisanale de la Couture et des Activités Connexes (English: National Couture Craft Industry and Related Activities Union), a trade association of couture dressmakers in other French administrative regions outside of Paris.
The Federation is responsible for setting the dates and location of the French fashion weeks. It also establishes industry standards on quality and on the use of the word "haute couture".
Prêt-à-Porter Member Fashion Houses and Designers
- See list of grands couturiers for haute couture houses.
- French fashion
- Haute couture
- List of fashion designers
- List of grands couturiers
- Arab Fashion Council
- Association Nationale pour le Développement des Arts de la Mode
- British Fashion Council
- Council of Fashion Designers of America
- National Chamber of Italian Fashion
- This article is based on the webpage of the Federation (see external links).
- ^ "FHCM Haute Couture official members list". DN-MAG.COM. 2016-05-07. Retrieved 2021-12-03.
- ^ "École de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne". Fashionista. Retrieved 2019-12-12.
- ^ "Obituary: Victor Joris". Shreveport Times. 2013-03-24. Retrieved 2019-12-11.