Félicité (2017 film)
|Directed by||Alain Gomis|
|Produced by||Arnaud Dommerc|
|Written by||Alain Gomis|
|Starring||Véro Tshanda Beya Mputu|
|Music by||Kasai Allstars and Orchestre Symphonique Kimbanguiste|
|Edited by||Fabrice Rouaud|
|Distributed by||Jour2Fête (France)|
Strand Releasing (United States)
Félicité is a 2017 Senegalese drama film directed by Alain Gomis. It was selected to compete for the Golden Bear in the main competition section of the 67th Berlin International Film Festival. At Berlin, the film won the Jury Grand Prix award. At the 2017 Africa Movie Academy Awards, it won six awards which is the highest for a film in the history of the award ceremony, including categories for best film, best actress, best supporting actor, best editing, best soundtrack and best film in an African language.
It was selected as the Senegalese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards, making the December shortlist. It was the first time Senegal had sent a film for consideration for the Best Foreign Language film.
The film tells a story on how a bar entertainer struggles to get funds after her child is hospitalized.
- Véro Tshanda Beya Mputu as Félicité
- Gaetan Claudia as Samo
- Papi Mpaka as Tabu
- Nadine Ndebo as Hortense
- Elbas Manuana as Luisant
- Kasai Allstars as themselves
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 97% based on 36 reviews, and an average rating of 6.9/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score, the film holds a score of 75 out of 100, based on reviews from 13 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Jordan Mintzer of The Hollywood Reporter described the film as "rough and heartfelt".
- List of submissions to the 90th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Senegalese submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Félicité". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Félicité". The Numbers. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Alain Gomis puts the finishing touches to Félicité". Cineuropa. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Aki Kaurismäki, Oren Moverman, Agnieszka Holland, Andres Veiel, and Sally Potter – First Films for the Competition of the Berlinale 2017". Berlinale. 15 December 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Prizes of the International Jury". Berlinale. 18 February 2017. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Nigerian actors fail to shine at African Movie Academy Awards".
- "Vero Tshanda wins best actress for "Félicité"".
- "How Senegalese movie 'Félicité' emerges top winner at AMAA 2017".
- Kilday, Gregg (5 October 2017). "Oscars: 92 Films Submitted in Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Pond, Steve (14 December 2017). "Oscars Foreign Language Shortlist Includes 'The Square,' 'A Fantastic Woman'". The Wrap. Retrieved 14 December 2017.
- "92 Countries in Competition in for 2017 Foreign Language Film Oscar". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 5 October 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Félicité (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Félicité Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- Mintzer, Jordan. "'Felicite': Film Review, Berlin 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 March 2018.