Swedish National Defence Research Institute
|Försvarets forskningsanstalt (FOA)|
|Dissolved||31 December 2000|
|Headquarters||Ursvik and Sorunda, Sweden|
|Parent department||Ministry of Defence|
Swedish National Defence Research Institute (Swedish: Försvarets forskningsanstalt, abbreviated FOA) was a Swedish government agency in defense research existing from 1945 to 31 December 2000. Together with the National Aeronautical Research Institute (FFA) the new agency Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI) was established on 1 January 2001.
The National Defence Research Institute (FOA) was established in 1945 (Instruction TS C:II No. 24), and took over operations at the Armed Forces Chemical Institute (Försvarsväsendets kemiska anstalt, FKA), the Institute of Military Physics (Militärfysiska institutet, MFI) and the Swedish Board of Inventions telecommunications technical working group (Statens uppfinnarnämnds teletekniska arbetsgrupp, SUN), that is, essentially all technical and scientific research outside the industry. FOA was organized in three research departments, FOA 1 chemistry/medicine, FOA 2 general physics and FOA 3 telecommunications and an office.
In 1959 FOA 4 (nuclear physics and nuclear chemistry) was added. A special institution for operations analysis, planning and investigation FOA P, was added in 1958 and was renamed the planning agency in 1962. In 1958 the office was reorganized into the administrative bureau. In 1962, an institution for materials research was added and in 1965 the Defence Telecommunications Technology Laboratory (Försvarets teletekniska laboratorium) was separated from the FOA 3 as a separate unit.
A major reorganization occurred on 1 July 1974. After this the FOA was organized in a central office, which accounted for among other thing the projections, management, staffing and education issues, and five main departments, FOA 1-5:
- FOA 1: armed forces studies, environmental and social studies, security policy and operations analysis and systems analysis
- FOA 2: general physics, nuclear device technology, EDP, material research, protection technology, etc.
- FOA 3: optics, electronics, acoustics, radar and signals intelligence
- FOA 4: biochemistry, microbiology, chemistry and radiac
- FOA 5: behavioral sciences, biotechnology and medicine
The central office was divided in 1976 into three parts: central planning, administrative bureau and staff administrative bureau. These were later reorganized into two: the Planning and development unit and the management unit. Together with the National Aeronautical Research Institute (FFA) the new agency Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI) was established on 1 January 2001.
FOA has had the following directors:
- Chief Directors (Överdirektörer)
- 1957–1968: Martin Fehrm
- 1968–1974: Torsten Magnusson
- 1974–1984: Nils-Henrik Lundquist
- 1984–1985: Lars-Erik Tammelin
- 1985–1994: Bo Rybeck
- 1994–2000: Bengt Anderberg
- Gullberg, Ingvar E. (1977). Svensk-engelsk fackordbok för näringsliv, förvaltning, undervisning och forskning [A Swedish-English dictionary of technical terms used in business, industry, administration, education and research] (in Swedish) (2nd ed.). Stockholm: Norstedt. p. 1366. ISBN 91-1-775052-0. LIBRIS 8345587.
- "Försvarets forskningsanstalt (1945 – )" [National Defence Research Institute (1945 – )] (in Swedish). National Archives of Sweden. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Försvarsutskottet 1999/2000:FöU6. Försvarsforskningens organisation" (in Swedish). Stockholm: Riksdag. 25 April 2000. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Askelin, Jan-Ivar (2003). "FOI:s (och FOA:s) generaldirektörer" [FOI's (and FOA's) Directors-General] (PDF). Framsyn: FOI-tidningen : forskning och studier för totalförsvaret / utges av Totalförsvarets forskningsinstitut, FOI, i samarbete med Försvarshögskolan, FHS (in Swedish). Stockholm: Totalförsvarets forskningsinstitut (FOI) (4): 39. LIBRIS 3289564. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Littke, Ann Kathrine; Sundström, Olle, eds. (1995). Försvarets forskningsanstalt 1945-1995 [The National Defence Research Institute 1945-1995] (in Swedish). Stockholm: Probus. ISBN 91-87184-39-7. LIBRIS 7762924.
- Bergström, Bengt; Ivarsson, Ulf, eds. (1995). FOA i fokus: Försvarets forskningsanstalt [FOA in focus: The National Defence Research Institute] (in Swedish). Stockholm: Försvarets forskningsanstalt. LIBRIS 2089360.