|• Mayor||Franz Jost (ÖVP)|
|• Total||50.31 km2 (19.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||276 m (906 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (440/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||+43 3382|
Fürstenfeld (German pronunciation: [ˈfʏʁstn̩fɛlt]; Hungarian: Fölöstöm) is a town and a district in southeastern Austria. It is situated within the Austrian federal state of Styria, near the border of Hungary.
According to the 2005 census, Fürstenfeld has 5,986 citizens within its communal area, the larger urban area of Fürstenfeld includes approximately 20% more citizens. It was the centre of an eponymous district until the end of 2012, when it was merged with Hartberg to form Hartberg-Fürstenfeld District.
Fürstenfeld was founded around 1170 as a fortress and received its town charter in 1215. Today it is known for its schools, middle-sized industry, and vicinity to several thermal spas (Loipersdorf, Bad Blumau, Stegersbach).
Fürstenfeld is located in the lower Freistritz valley near the Burgenland border. Elevation of the urban area ranges from 255m to approximately 300 m ü. A. The city`s central part sits on a river terrace two dozen meters above the valley floor.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2021)
First human traces in the Fürstenfeld area are attributed to the Neolithic age. There are numerous Urnfield culture archaeological finds and the Romans also found their way into the later Province of Noricum bordering their Pannonia province. From the 6th century on, Slavs diffused into the Pannonic region and were followed by Bavarian settlers in the 8th century.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Fürstenfeld is twinned with:
- Herbert Depisch
- Wilfried Elmenreich, researcher and university professor
- Hans Fronius
- Sissy Handler
- Richard L. Heschl, born in Welsdorf
- Markus Hirtler (alias Ermi-Oma), cabaret artist
- Max J. Hiti
- Max Keimel
- Karl Mader, painter, graphic artist
- Bert Isatitsch
- Josef Reichl (1913, Rudersdorf - 2003)
- Helmut Röhrling (known as "Schiffkowitz"), member of S.T.S.
- Emmerich Schreiner
- Hanna Schulze-Bauer
- Hannes Schulze-Bauer
- Günter Timischl (born 1948, Fürstenfeld), member of S.T.S.
- Fritz Vogt
- Gregor von Rezzori, studied in Fürstenfeld
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Parlamentarische Materialien: Erklärung des Präsidenten Gottfried Jaud anlässlich des 50. Jahrestages der Gründung des Europarates. Stenografisches Protokoll der 654 Sitzung /Seite 42, http://www.parlament.gv.at/pd/steno/PG/DE/BR/BRSITZ/BRSITZ_00654/SEITE_0042.html?P_PM=SEITE_0042
Twin towns – sister cities
- Official website of Fürstenfeld (in German, English, and Hungarian)
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Fürstenfeld.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fürstenfeld.|