F-Beat Records was a record label set up by Jake Riviera in 1979. Its first release, "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" by Elvis Costello & the Attractions, reached number 4 in the UK charts, the highest singles chart position the label attained. The first album released on the label was Costello's Get Happy!!, which peaked at number 2 on the UK Albums Chart.
As well as releases from Costello, whom Riviera managed, he sought bands for the label via an advert in NME, and one of the bands who applied (and were given an audition, ultimately unsuccessfully) were Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke's band White Dice. The roster was built up to include Nick Lowe, Carlene Carter, the Blasters, Blanket of Secrecy and Clive Langer and the Boxes.
Costello notched up another fifteen hits for F-Beat before leaving for Warner Bros. Records.
The F-Beat label had associated offshoot labels in Demon Records and Edsel Records, the latter concentrating on reissues. F-Beat and its sub-labels were acquired by MCI Records and then in 1998 by Kingfisher plc for £2 million.
- Elvis Costello & the Attractions
- Nick Lowe
- Steve Nieve
- Clive Langer & the Boxes
- The Coward Brothers
- The Costello Show
- Carlene Carter
- Blanket of Secrecy
- The Blasters
- Blab Happy
- Nicola Hitchcock
- The Gutter Brothers
- Freeth, Nick (2002) The Guitar & rock equipment, Salamander, ISBN 978-1840653953, p. 230
- Buckley, Peter (ed.) (2003) The Rough Guide to Rock, Rough Guides, ISBN 978-1843531050, p. 231
- Rogan, Johnny (1993) Morrissey and Marr: The Severed Alliance, Omnibus Press, ISBN 978-0711930001, p. 124
- Ellis, Lucy & Sutherland, Bryony (2002) Annie Lennox: the Biography, Omnibus Press, ISBN 978-0711991927, p. 136
- Hoffman, F (2004) Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound, Routledge, ISBN 978-0415938358, pp. 285-6
- Solomons, Mark & Ferguson, Tom (1998) "British Retailer Kingfisher Picks Up Demon Label", Billboard, 18 April 1998, pp. 6, 85. Retrieved 17 November 2012
|This article about a United Kingdom record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|