F. D. Roosevelt Airport
F. D. Roosevelt Airport
The airport seen from a distance with The Quill in the background
|Owner||Island Government of Sint Eustatius|
|Operator||Island Government of Sint Eustatius|
|Elevation AMSL||129 ft / 39 m|
F. D. Roosevelt Airport (IATA: EUX, ICAO: TNCE) is the airport located on the island of Sint Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands. It was opened as "Golden Rock Airport" in 1946 and renamed for Franklin Delano Roosevelt. As of 2012, the only commercial aircraft that serves the island is the DHC-6 Twin Otter (can operate chartered flights with Britten-Norman Islander and Cessna 208 Caravan), although the runway can accommodate larger turboprop aircraft and some smaller jets. As of 2018, the largest aircraft type to operate at the airport is the ATR 42.
The airport is built to support small aircraft. A small single story terminal building processes passengers and baggage and also serves as the customs area. A two-story tower is attached, but the airport has no control tower. There are no jetways or services, and a small apron allows for aircraft passengers to disembark.
The island is not a traditional Caribbean tourist destination, and so it does not have overcrowded beaches and blueprint resorts. The local government has, however, sought to increase tourism by attracting visitors to visit its dive sites, hike its dormant volcano The Quill and explore the remains of its colonial history and the restored historical city of Oranjestad. Part of this plan is a proposed 1,000-foot (300 m) extension of the runway, in order to accommodate even larger aircraft and additional destinations.
Airline and destinations
|Coastal Air||Dominica–Canefield, Nevis, Saint Croix|
|St Barth Commuter||Charter: Saint Barthélemy|
|Trans Anguilla Airways||Anguilla|
|Winair||Saba, Sint Maarten|
Access to the airport is by private vehicle or taxi service from the surrounding areas of the island. Main access to the airport is via Max T. Pandt Boulevard.
- Airport information for TNCE at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for EUX at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- "A-Z World Airports Online - BES Islands airports - St Eustatius - F D Roosevelt Airport (EUX/TNCE)". azworldairports.com. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
Media related to F.D. Roosevelt Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Current weather for TNCE at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for EUX at Aviation Safety Network
- F.D. Roosevelt (TNCE) at Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide
- Statia Tourist Office - The Official Website of St. Eustatius
- Winair - official airline website
- Aviation Pioneers of the Caribbean