F1 2015 (video game)
Feral Interactive (Linux)
|Engine||EGO Engine 4.0|
F1 2015 is a racing game based on the 2015 Formula One season developed by Codemasters. It is the seventh Formula One game produced by the same studio. It was released on July 10, 2015, and features the team and driver line-ups from the 2015 season, including the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez. It also features all the drivers, cars and circuits from the 2014 season (i.e. Caterham F1, and the Hockenheimring, which was removed from the calendar). It is the first title developed by Codemasters for the eighth generation consoles.
The game runs on an all-new version of the EGO game engine, providing a large number of improvements to the game's physics models. It features an all-new "Pro Season" mode that is more challenging than the normal gameplay because there is no HUD and no assist, which includes traction, ABS, and transmission, with the hardest level possible.
The game is also compatible with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's voice recognition software, allowing players to talk to their race engineers during the race and ask for race information, weather updates, and tyre status, and even request a change of tyres or wing.
The game was also noted for the fact that the AI would often wreck or make mistakes. This drew both praise and criticism from game critics.
Development and release
Unlike previous Codemasters F1 games, which have been released in September–October, F1 2015 was released in July 2015. The previous game F1 2014 was regarded as more of a "filler" game until the 2015 game was released. This game is made almost completely from scratch after Codemasters decided to base this version on an entirely new game engine, said to dramatically improve both the screen quality and the AI's abilities.
On 15 February 2015, screenshots of internal letters regarding the development of the video game were leaked onto the Internet via Facebook. Codemasters later confirmed they were indeed legitimate screenshots and had been leaked from a "confidential internal development email."
On May 22, 2015, Codemasters released a teaser trailer, pushing back the release date from June 12, 2015 to July 10, 2015 for Europe and Australia, July 21 for North America, and July 24 for Brazil. Despite this, the PC version was released on July 9 worldwide through the Steam platform.
The final product received a mixed reception with the PlayStation 4 version scoring 65 out of 100 on the review aggregator site Metacritic and 64.6% on GameRankings. IGN praised the graphics and control system, but criticised the game modes, and AI. Metro liked the weather effects, and said the game held its own in the genre.
The version released for PC received a mixed reception after release, scoring 56 of 100 from critics according to review aggregator Metacritic. Reviews on GameRankings yielded a rating of 56.33%.
- Knight, Mark. "Working on F1". Composer's Twitter feed. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Collantine, Keith (July 31, 2014). "Codemasters announce F1 2014 and earlier 2015 title". F1 Fanatic. Retrieved March 3, 2015.
- Lee, William (2015-03-26). "F1 2015". Codemasters. Retrieved 2015-03-06.
- "F1 2015 No Career mode??". 2015-04-21. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "No Career Mode". 2015-04-23. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- Robinson, Martin (16 February 2015). "First shots of F1 2015 leak". eurogamer.net. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Farokhmanesh, Megan (May 22, 2015). "F1 2015 pushed back into July, but here's a first look at gameplay". Polygon. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "F1 2015 on Steam". F1 2015 on Steam. Valve Software. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- White, Sam (October 2015). "Formulaic". PC Gamer (UK) (283): 84. OCLC 64064840.
- "La recensione PS4 di F1 2015". ign.com. 14 July 2015. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Project Cars review, Rik Henderson, Metro, July 10, 2015
- "F1 2015 for PlayStation 4 reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "F1 2015 for PlayStation 4". GameRankings. Metacritic. July 15, 2015. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "F1 2015 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "F1 2015 for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Purchese, Robert (July 13, 2015). "F1 2015 races to top spot in UK chart". Eurogamer. Retrieved October 13, 2015.