The FAST protocol (FIX Adapted for STreaming) is a technology standard developed by FIX Protocol Ltd., specifically aimed at optimizing data representation on the network. It is used to support high-throughput, low latency data communications between financial institutions.
- 2004 Market Data optimization Working Group (“mdowg”) was formed
- 2005 Proof of Concept (“POC”) project
- 2006 FAST 1.0 released
- 2007 FAST 1.1 released
- 2009 FAST 1.2 proposed
In November 2004, Mike Cormack (then CEO Archipelago Holding) spoke at the FPL (FIX Protocol Ltd) conference in New York regarding a call for action to meet the challenges of the increased market data volumes. The increasing volumes of market data were causing delays, preventing market data from reaching traders in a timely fashion, thus disrupting their ability to trade. The classic FIX tag value format was considered to be too verbose and had a high processing overhead. A working group was formed within FPL shortly after the conference.
Current version of FAST
The approved standard is currently at version 1.2, and is used in commercially available products. There are Open Source implementations of the Protocol available.
Exchanges that have adopted FAST
- NYSE Archipelago
- CME Group (CME)
- International Securities Exchange (ISE)
- SIX Swiss Exchange
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE Ltd, India)
- Nordic Growth Market (NGM)
- Moscow Exchange (MOEX)
- Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE, China)
Open source implementations
Source code for implementations of the FAST Specification are available from the following sources:
|FPL Reference Implementation||C (not C++)||https://www.fixtrading.org/standards/fast/||W3C Software License.||Not a complete implementation. Reference only.|
|FPL Reference Implementation||C#||https://www.fixtrading.org/standards/fast/||W3C Software License.||Not a complete implementation. Reference only.|
|OpenFAST||Java||www.openfast.org||Mozilla Public License||Includes SCP 1.1|
|OpenFAST.NET||C#||www.sourceforge.net/projects/openfastdotnet/||Mozilla Public License||Includes SCP 1.1|
|QuickFAST||C++||www.quickfast.org||New BSD License||Includes C# (.NET) wrapper|
- "CME Expands Views of Order Book Data". Advanced Trading. 2009-03-26. Archived from the original on 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Exchange Plans for FAST". Inside Market Data. 2006-02-13.[permanent dead link]
- "FIX Protocol releases market data streaming test results". Finextra Research. 2005-09-07.
- FAST protocol's official homepage and list of proof of concept sponsors.
|This computer networking article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|