FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI). It employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it or directly toll owner. It is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and enables to drive through toll plazas without stopping for transactions. The tag can be purchased from official Tag issuers or participating Banksand if it is linked to a prepaid account, then recharging or top-up can be as per requirement. As per NHAI, FASTag has unlimited validity. 7.5% cashback offers were also provided to promote the use of FASTag. Dedicated Lanes at some Toll plazas have been built for FASTag.
- The system was initially set up as a pilot project in 2014 on the stretch of the Golden Quadrilateral between Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
- The system was implemented on the Delhi - Mumbai arm of the Quadrilateral on 4 November 2014.
- In July 2015, toll plazas on the Chennai - Bengaluru stretch of the Golden Quadrilateral started accepting FASTag payments.
- By April 2016, FASTag was rolled out to 247 toll plazas on national highways across India, representing 70% of all toll plazas in the country at the time.
- By 23 November 2016, 347 fee plazas out of 366 on national highways across the country accept FASTag payments.
- On 1 October 2017, the NHAI launched a FASTag lane in all 370 toll plazas under its ambit.
- On 8 November 2017, it was followed up by making FASTag mandatory on all new vehicles sold in India after December 2017.
- On 19 October 2019, it was announced that FASTag will be mandatory on all National Highways and non-FASTag users will be charged double the toll.
- "Another Official FAQ" (PDF). NHAI. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "FASTag Roll-out and Facilitation". Press Information Bureau. New Delhi. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "FASTag Page in NHAI website". Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Official FAQ" (PDF). NHAI. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Writer, Staff (9 January 2019). "Coming soon: Pay at petrol pumps in seconds using FASTags". livemint.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "These innovations are helping digital payments go mass". Sify. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- Gupta, Siddhartha (31 October 2014). "Soon, drive non-stop and pay tolls speeding through 'FASTag' lane". Indian Express. New Delhi. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Driving From Chennai to Bangalore? Get Smart Tag to Zip Through the Toll Gate". Express News Service. Chennai. The New Indian Express. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "FASTag Is Now Active In Over 70% Toll Plazas On National Highways". The Logical Indian. 21 April 2016.
- "Electronic Toll Management System". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Sood, Jyotika (3 November 2017). "Four-wheelers sold from December must be fitted with FASTag: Centre". Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "Come December, All New Vehicles Will Have FASTag for Cashless Toll Plazas: Nitin Gadkari". News18. Retrieved 9 November 2017.