|Federal Bureau of Investigation|
FBI Police patch
FBI Police badge
Flag of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
|Common name||FBI Police|
|General nature||• Local civilian agency|
|Parent agency||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
|While a federal agency the FBI Police enforce community level laws and social order in and around FBI facilities.|
The Federal Bureau of Investigation Police (FBI Police) is the FBI's uniformed security police force tasked with protecting FBI facilities, properties, personnel, users, visitors and operations from harm and may enforce certain laws and administrative regulations.
They are endowed with full police powers of crime prevention, arrest, law enforcement and investigation within the following FBI facilities:
- The J. Edgar Hoover Building (FBI Headquarters)
- The FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia
- The FBI Laboratory, also in Quantico
- The New York City field office in Lower Manhattan
- The Washington field office in Washington, D.C.
- The Criminal Justice Information Services Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia
Civil service classification
The 240-plus FBI Police officers are classified as professional staff, which also includes intelligence analysts, language specialists, scientists, information technology specialists, and other agency professionals.
Pay and benefits
FBI Police officers are covered under the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS) and do not receive enhanced Law Enforcement Retirement (6C).
The FBI Police are among the lowest paid Federal Law Enforcement Officers and have the highest attrition rate at 13.9%.
Class action lawsuit
On August 2, 2007, a group of more than 100 FBI Police officers filed a class action complaint in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims for millions of dollars of back and future pay. The complaint alleged that the FBI had not complied with a 2002 statute, part of the FBI Reform Act, that mandated that the FBI police force be paid the same pay and benefits as members of the Uniformed Division of the United States Secret Service. The judge ruled against the FBI Police officers on all issues in February 2017.
FBI Police vehicles in front of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
- Federal police
- List of FBI Field Offices
- List of protective service agencies
- List of United States federal law enforcement agencies
- Federal Protective Service
- Roufa, Timothy (August 26, 2017). "FBI Police Officer Career Information". thebalance.com. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- FBI police statistics Archived December 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "FBI Police joblink at FBI Jobs". Fbijobs.gov. 2011-11-19. Archived from the original on 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-12-30.
- Kaplan, Passman (February 17, 2017). "FBI wage claim".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FBI Police.|