Type of site
|Blog host, Video hosting service|
|Available in||Japanese (primary), English, Chinese, Thai, Korean, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Indonesian, Portuguese, Vietnamese|
|Alexa rank||55 (January 2016[update])|
|Registration||Required for many services, Free or Premium|
|Launched||July 20, 1999|
FC2 (founded July 20, 1999) is a popular Japanese blogging host, the third most popular video hosting service in Japan (after YouTube and Niconico), and a web hosting company headquartered in the Netherlands. It is the 11th most popular website in Japan overall (as of January 2018). FC2 is an abbreviation of "Fantastic Kupi-Kupi (クピクピ)". It is known to allow adult content such as pornography and hate speech (unlike many of its competitors).
Due to FC2's physical presence in the United States, it has been known to allow hosting of not limited but including pornographic, pirated, and slanderous contents but is being enforced with strict rules. Until 2012 it was very difficult to sue and get FC2 to release information on its users. This changed somewhat with an amendment to Japan's Code of Civil Procedure for foreign entities operating in Japan in 2012 and the ensuing injunctions that followed against FC2.
- "FC2 - About Us". Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "fc2.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- "FC2 - About Us". Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Alexa Top Sites in Japan". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Japan's Code of Civil Procedure law revised to force lawless FC2 to disclose information on its users" (in Japanese). Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Lawless FC2 in the news again due to its 'FC2 Talk' dating application" (in Japanese). 2013-03-10. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Illegal content found in the parasitic Niconico clone 'Sunflower Videos' app" (in Japanese). 2013-03-03. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "No excuse even for the long time users! FC2 Blog enforces strict rules". Nikkan Cyzo(In Japanese). Retrieved 2018-03-23.
- "Information disclosure injunction sent to overseas blog management company" (in Japanese). 2013-02-24. Archived from the original on March 10, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2014.