FC Bayern Munich (basketball)
|History||FC Bayern Munich Basketball
|Team colors||Red, White, Navy
|Head coach||Aleksandar Đorđević|
|Ownership||FC Bayern Munich|
|Championships||3 German Championships
1 German Cup
|Retired numbers||2 (6, 24)|
|Active departments of
FC Bayern Munich
|Football (Men's)||Football II (Men's)||Football JT (Men's)|
|Football (Women's)||Football (Seniors)||Basketball|
FC Bayern München Basketball GmbH is a professional basketball club, part of the FC Bayern Munich sports club based in Munich, Germany. The club play their national domestic league games in the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) and internationally in the EuroCup.
The team plays its home games at Audi Dome, which was opened in 1972.
FC Bayern Munich Basketball also has a reserve team that plays in ProB.
- 1 History
- 2 Arena
- 3 Titles & honours
- 4 Players
- 5 Season by season
- 6 Individual awards
- 7 Notable players
- 8 Notable coaches
- 9 Sponsorships
- 10 Video game
- 11 Notes
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Bayern Munich has a long basketball tradition. Besides its most successful years in the 1950s and 1960s (German Championships in 1954, 1955, and German Cup in 1968), the club enjoyed remarkable popularity in 1956, when it even drew 40,000 fans to an open-air test game against Lancia Bozen, once a top basketball club from Italy. Later, in 1966, the club was a founding member of the German League.
In the following years, the club slowly, but surely, faded into obscurity, and in 1974, was even relegated to the German 2nd Division. For a long time after that, the club never completely recovered, and only had a few successful years (Bayern moved up to the German First Division in 1987, and stayed there until 1989).
In 2008, the declared goal of the team was to return to the club's former glory, and return to the top German League, which it eventually did. In the near future, the club seeks to become a major force in European basketball, so that Bayern Munich will not only be well known for its football (soccer) operations, but also for its basketball operations as well. In the 2012–13 season the club reached the semi-finals, where it lost 3–2 against the reigning champions Brose Baskets.
Thanks to a wild card, Bayern Munich played the EuroLeague in the 2013–14 season. This was its first appearance in the top European championship, and it reached the Top 16 stage. On June 18, 2014, Bayern won its third national title when it beat Alba Berlin 3–1 in the Finals. It was the first title for the team since 1955; 59 years before. Star player of the team was Malcolm Delaney, who won both the MVP and Finals MVP.
The team's home arena is called Audi Dome, which seats 6,700 spectators.
Titles & honours
- Runners-up (1): 2014
- Winners (1): 2010–11
|FC Bayern Munich retired numbers|
Note: Flags indicate national team eligibility at FIBA sanctioned events. Players may hold other non-FIBA nationality not displayed.
FC Bayern Munich roster
|Pos.||Starting 5||Bench 1||Bench 2||Bench 3|
|C||Devin Booker||Maik Zirbes|
|PF||Maxi Kleber||Danilo Barthel||Dejan Kovačević|
|SF||Vladimir Lučić||Nihad Đedović||Alex King||Marvin Ogunsipe|
|SG||Reggie Redding||Karim Jallow||Nelson Weidemann|
|PG||Anton Gavel||Georg Beyschlag|
Out on loan
- 18 Ondřej Balvín - 2.17 - (C) - (loan until May 2017 to Movistar Estudiantes and contract until May 2018 with Bayern Munich)
Season by season
|Season||Domestic competitions||German Cup||European competitions|
- Resigned to promote
- Malcolm Delaney – 2014
- Malcolm Delaney – 2014
- Paul Zipser – 2016
- Chevon Troutman – 2012, 2013
- Tyrese Rice – 2013
- Bryce Taylor – 2014
- Deon Thompson – 2014
- Nihad Đedović – 2015
- Maxi Kleber - 2017
- Maxi Kleber - 2017
- Bastian Doreth – 2011
50 Greatest EuroLeague Contributors
- Malcolm Delaney - Season 2013-14, Top 16, Week 10
- Duško Savanović - Season 2014-15, Regular Season, Week 9
- To appear in this section a player must have either:
- Played at least one season for the club.
- Set a club record or won an individual award while at the club.
- Played at least one official international match for their national team at any time.
- To perform very successfully during period in the club or at later/previous stages of his career.
|Official Shirt Sponsor||BayWa AG|
|Official Sport Clothing Manufacturer||Adidas AG|
- Reisner, Dino (2010). Sonderheft Basketball 2010/2011 - Das Projekt (in German). Kicker. p. 107.
- Interview of the Week – October 29: Bayern Munich basketball coach Michael Schwarz.
- Proposed team list for 2013-14 Turkish Airlines Euroleague; Euroleague.net, 26 June 2013
- FC Bayern Baskets erstmals in NBA 2K15 von 2K Games spielbar (in German)
- NBA 2K16 mit komplettem Euroleague-Kader (in German)
- "NBA 2K17 European Team List Revealed". sportando.com. August 17, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2016.