FIFI Wild Cup
Republic of St. Pauli (official)|
|Dates||29 May – 3 June|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||Northern Cyprus (1st title)|
|Fourth place||Republic of St. Pauli|
|Goals scored||33 (3.3 per match)|
The FIFI Wild Cup was an alternative Football World Cup, held from 29 May to 3 June 2006 in Germany. It was run by Federation of International Football Independents (FIFI). FIFI was a body made up of countries not recognized by FIFA, and those whose logistics preclude them from playing representative football. The Millerntor-Stadion, in Hamburg, hosted all the tournament matches.
The tournament was sponsored by an online gambling consortium, who saw this tournament as a way to gain publicity for itself. Hosted in the Hamburg borough of St. Pauli, Germany, this tournament enabled disputed political entities to play in international competition.
According to organizer Jorg Pommeranz, FIFI had to overcome various obstacles, namely China and FIFA applying pressure to exclude Tibet, as well as visas for the Northern Cypriot players to enter Germany. The tournament winners were the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. In June 2006, spectator attendance was reported as "relatively weak" with an average of four hundred, thus a second version was deemed unlikely.
- Greenland — an autonomous country within the Danish Realm, and under the control of the Football Association of Greenland
- Northern Cyprus — an unrecognized state, under the control of Cyprus Turkish Football Federation
- Zanzibar — part of Tanzania, but member of CAF
- Gibraltar — a British Overseas Territory claimed by Spain. In May 2013, Gibraltar became a member of UEFA. In May 2016, the country became a member of FIFA.
- Tibet — an autonomous region of China
- Republic of St. Pauli — representing the St. Pauli area of Hamburg, the host city
|Republic of St. Pauli||4||2||1||1||0||8||1||+7|
|Republic of St. Pauli||7–0||Tibet|
|Abdul Yilmaz ?', ?', ?', ?'
Hakan Demirci ?', ?'
Dennis Daube ?'
|Ali Oraloglu 55'|
|Agrey Morris 12' (o.g.)
Derviş Kolcu 20' (pen.)
Çagan Cerkez 60'
|Salum Ussi 43'|
|Kaassannquaq Zeeb ?'||Alek Mohammed ?', ?'|
Abdallah Juma ?', ?'
|Northern Cyprus||0 (4)|
|Republic of St. Pauli||1|
|Republic of St.Pauli||1|
|Ali Oraloglu 39'
Dylan 90' (o.g.)
Third place match
|Northern Cyprus won 4–1 on penalties|
- (in German) Willkommen beim FIFI Wild Cup 2006 Official website of the tournament
- Also-rans find World of own New York Daily News article on the tournament
- The Clash of the Lilliputians Spiegel Online news article with detailed coverage of the tournament
- "Filip Bondy: Also-rans find World of own". www.nydailynews.com. Archived from the original on 21 June 2006. Retrieved 21 June 2006.
- "Nordzypern feiert ausgelassen Triumph beim "Fifi Wild Cup"" (in German). welt.de. 6 June 2006. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
English, Spanish, French and German are the official languages of FIFA. English is the official language for minutes, correspondence and announcements. 2. Members are responsible for translations into the language of their Ccountry. http://www.verifiedsoccertips.com/