FIPS 201 (Federal Information Processing Standard Publication 201) is a United States federal government standard that specifies Personal Identity Verification (PIV) requirements for Federal employees and contractors.
In response to HSPD-12, the NIST Computer Security Division initiated a new program for improving the identification and authentication of Federal employees and contractors for access to Federal facilities and information systems. FIPS 201 was developed to satisfy the technical requirements of HSPD-12, approved by the Secretary of Commerce, and issued on February 25, 2005.
Cooper, David A.; Ferraiolo, Hildegard; Mehta, Ketan L.; Francomacaro, Salvatore; Chandramouli, Ramaswamy; Mohler, Jason (December 2010). "Interfaces for Personal Identity Verification – Part 1: PIV Card Application Namespace, Data Model and Representation". National Institute of Standards and Technology. Section 1.1, Paragraph 2. doi:10.6028/NIST.SP.800-73-4.
NIST is responsible for developing standards and guidelines ... but such standards and guidelines shall not apply to national security systems.Cite journal requires
"Personal Identity Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors". 2013. doi:10.6028/NIST.FIPS.201-2. Cite journal requires
- Federal Register Volume 78, Issue 172 (September 5, 2013) https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/FR-2013-09-05/2013-21491
- "Interagency Advisory Board". IDManagement.gov. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "HSPD-12 — Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12: Policy for a Common Identification Standard for Federal Employees and Contractors". Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "About Personal Identity Verification (PIV) of Federal Employees and Contractors". National Institute of Standards and Technology Computer Security Resource Center. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Federal PKI Policy Authority (FPKIPA)". IDManagement.gov. Archived from the original on 2011-06-08. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "FIPS 201 Evaluation Program". General Services Administration. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- Official website