FJ Reitz High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Francis Joseph Reitz High School
Evansville Reitz High School
|350 Dreier Boulevard
Evansville, Indiana, Vanderburgh County 47712
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||High Performance Counts!|
|School district||Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation|
|Teaching staff||119.91 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.94|
|Rival||Mater Dei High School|
Francis Joseph Reitz High School is a historic public high school on the west side of Evansville, Indiana, United States. It was founded in 1918 in honor of Francis Joseph Reitz, and is the second oldest high school still in use today in the city. It is a member of the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation. It is also known by the IHSAA as Evansville Reitz High School and locally known as simply Reitz High School.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,343 students enrolled in 2012-2013 was:
- Male - 49.7%
- Female - 50.3%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.1%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 0.8%
- Black - 5.9%
- Hispanic - 0.7%
- White - 89.1%
- Multiracial - 0.4%
39.4% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- Baseball (boys')
- Basketball (boys' and girls')
- Girls' team state champion - 1981
- Cross country (boys' and girls')
- Football (boys')
- State champions - 2007, 2009
- Golf (boys' and girls')
- Soccer (boys & girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming (boys' and girls')
- Tennis (boys' and girls')
- Track (boys' and girls')
- Volleyball (girls')
- Wrestling (boys')
- Perry Heights Middle School
- Hefrich Park STEM Academy
Notable alumni and faculty
- Jay Buente, baseball player, pitched for Purdue University, the Florida Marlins and the Tampa Bay Rays
- Rudy Charles, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling senior referee
- Brian Claybourn, former American football punter and placekicker at Western Kentucky University, and later a player with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League
- Bob Hamilton, professional golfer; 1944 PGA Championship winner
- Don Hansen, played football at Illinois and for 11 seasons in the NFL
- Lilly King, swimmer, gold medalist at 2016 Summer Olympics
- Matt Williams, producer of The Cosby Show, Home Improvement, and Roseanne
- "Francis Joseph Reitz High School". Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Francis Joseph Reitz High Sch". ed.gov. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "F.J. Reitz High School: Advanced Placement (AP) Course Listings". edlinesites.net. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "IHSAA 2014-2015 School directory" (pdf). ihsaa.org. IHSAA. p. 51. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 12 June 2016.