FNSS Pars 8x8
|Type||Armoured combat vehicle|
|Place of origin||Turkey|
|In service||2005 - Present|
|Used by||See Operators|
|Designer||FNSS Defence Systems|
|Manufacturer||FNSS Defence Systems|
|Variants||Armored personnel carrier, Infantry fighting vehicle|
|Weight||16,000 to 24,500 kg|
|Length||6.6 (6×6), 8 m (8×8) |
|Crew||10 (6×6), 14 (8×8)|
|Armor||Baseline 7.62mm AP all-around up to STANAG-4569 Level 4|
|25 mm FNSS Sharpshooter Turret|
|7.62 mm coaxial machine gun|
|Engine||Deutz or Caterpillar Diesel
500-600 hp (6×6 and 8×8)
|Power/weight||20.4 to 24.5 hp/ton|
|Suspension||semi-automatic computer-controlled pneumatic suspension|
|1,000 km (620 mi)|
|Speed||100 km/h (62mph) |
The development of the PARS vehicles commenced in 2002, based on a design by US company GPV (General Purpose Vehicles), and in cooperation with GPV. PARS 6x6 is being proposed for the Turkish Army. PARS 8x8 was first displayed in February 2005 during the IDEX defence equipment exhibition held in Abu Dhabi. Since the first PARS vehicles were shown in 2005 development and further enhancements have been carried out on a continuous basis.
The PARS 8x8 vehicle was examined by the Malaysian Army in 2006 competing with the Swiss Piranha IIIC and the Finnish Patria AMV. It was demonstrated in the deserts of the UAE in 2008 covering 11,000 km of desert and road trials. Further testing was again carried out in the UAE deserts in 2010. The PARS 8x8, fitted with a 25mm gun turret, was also successfully tested by another Middle Eastern country in the summer of 2010.
The baseline PARS has a hull consisting of a steel armour.
The driver and commander are seated in a cockpit at the front of the vehicle. Each has a single-piece roof hatch that opens to the side. Both have access to flat-panel displays, on which all relevant information is shown. The seating arrangement depends on the role but the troops are normally seated on individual seats down each side of the hull facing inwards. These shock-absorbing seats are fitted with five-point seatbelts as standard. A large ramp fitted at the rear section will be used for entry and exit of troops. The modular design of the PARS will incorporate external turrets or weapon stations depending on user requirements. It could be a one or two-man turret or a remotely operated weapon station. To allow for PARS to be rapidly reconfigured for different operational roles, all members of the PARS family have removable roofing so that they can be quickly converted for a wide range of specialist roles.
- Malaysia - 257 wheeled 8x8 armored vehicles with 12 different configurations based on the FNSS Pars named as DefTech AV8 built locally in Malaysia
- Oman - 172 vehicles in both 6x6 & 8X8 configuration. First delivery on 12 July 2017
|Engine||525 hp Diesel|
|Number of Forward and Reverse Speed||7 Forward 1 Reverse|
|Power-to-Weight Ratio||20.4 to 24.5 hp/ton|
|EURO Norm of Power Pack||EURO 3 Power Pack Compliant with NATO Single Fuel Concept Aviation F34 Fuel|
|Number of Axles||2 (4×4), 3 (6×6), 4 (8×8),|
|Steered Axles||1,2,3,4 (All wheel steering)|
|Transfer Case (Shift on Fly)||2 Speed|
|Suspension||Semi-Automatic Pneumatic Computer-Controlled & Adjustable|
|Brakes||In Board Disc, Air/Hydraulic with ABS at Each Wheel|
|Electrical System (Available Power)||3 KW 220V AC|
|Tire Type||Heavy Duty 1600 R20|
|Max. Road Speed||100 km/h|
|Creep Speed||3 km/h|
|Angle of Approach||50˚|
|Angle of Departure||45˚|
|Side Slope||% 30|
|Vertical Obstacle||0.70 m|
|Combat Weight||24,494 kg|
|Empty Weight||16,130 kg|
|Ground Clearance||0.500 m|
|Air Transportation||C130, A400, C17 & C5|
References and notes
- "FNSS Pars". Military Factory. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- GPV Colonel 8x8x8 Armoured Personnel Carrier. Army-technology.com. Retrieved 24 June 2014.[unreliable source?]
- "The Pars ... is based on a design made by the US company GPV". Defense-update.com. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Pars Combat Vehicle". Army-Technology. Retrieved 9 May 2014.[unreliable source?]
- Administrator. "PARS 8x8 combat armored vehicle FNSS technical data sheet specifications description pictures video | Turkey Turkish army wheeled armoured vehicles UK | Turkey Turkish army military equipment vehicles UK". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- "FNSS Umman’a ilk PARS’ı teslim etti". SVT | Savunma ve Teknoloji (in Turkish). Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- Binnie, Jeremy (12 July 2017). "Oman receives First Pars III IFVs". IHS Jane's 360. Archived from the original on 14 July 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Azerbaijan could be interested to purchase the PARS armoured produced by FNSS of Turkey - Armyrecognition.com, 7 February 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FNSS Pars.|