FNTSY Sports Network
|FNTSY Sports Network|
|Owned by||Sportsgrid Inc.|
|Slogan||Bring Your A Game|
|Website||FNTSY Sports Network|
|Amazon Fire TV (Worldwide)||IPTV|
|Apple TV (Worldwide)||IPTV|
|LG Channel Plus (Worldwide)||IPTV|
Original owners, Anthem Sports and Entertainment, made plans to launch a fantasy sports-related television channel in 2012, when it applied for a Canadian broadcast licence for a channel tentatively named "The League – Fantasy Sports TV," with intentions to launch the channel in both Canada and the United States, however, under separate operations.
In February 2013, Anthem acquired two fantasy sports analysis websites—RotoExperts and SportsGrid—to bolster content for the network. In March 2013, Anthem CEO Leonard Asper told the Toronto Star that the channel was expected to launch that September. He defended the network's concept by noting that "people thought 'How can there be an entire channel devoted to golf?' But now the Golf Channel is in 82 million homes", and that advertisers "leapt out of their chairs" when they learned that the network could appeal to both the traditional "baby boomer" demographic associated with fantasy sports, and the young male demographic that had also increasingly shown interest in fantasy.
In December 2013, it was reported that the channel, now named FNTSY Sports Network, was expected to launch in Canada and the United States in March 2014. On January 14, 2014, Anthem Media announced the launch date for the channel as March 4, 2014 for the United States, with a Canadian launch later in the year. However, only the Canadian channel launched in March 2014, while the American channel would launch later in the summer of 2014 on Cablevision's Optimum TV service.
The channel would subsequently gain wider distribution through obtaining carriage agreements with additional American television service providers, in addition to international providers such as Roku.
In 2018, following its acquisition of e-sports data provider NXTAKE, it was announced that FNTSY Sports Network had merged with the company under the new company SportsGrid, Inc., leaving Anthem with no remaining stake in the company. With the merger, it left FNTSY Sports Network with no remaining distribution on traditional cable, satellite, and IPTV providers in the U.S., as Anthem retained ownership of that distribution network. However, the FNTSY Sports Network channel remained on American television service provider lineups in both Canada and the U.S. through a licencing agreement with Sportsgrid until April 1, 2019, when Anthem rebranded FNTSY Sports Network as Game+ in both America and Canada.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
In March 2018, Craig Carton, who had resigned from WFAN New York's Boomer and Carton morning show in September 2017 after being arrested for charges of securities fraud, joined FNTSY Sports Network to host its new morning show Carton & Friends. In May 2018, the program was picked up for terrestrial radio syndication in partnership with Sports Byline USA. In January 2019, it was announced that the Elvis Duran Group (co-founded by radio personality Elvis Duran) would assume distribution duties for the channel's radio arm Fantasy Sports Radio Network.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-7 CRTC 2013-01-09
- "SportsGrid.com To Be Acquired By RotoExperts, New Site To Become 'The Ultimate Sports & Fantasy Destination'". Mediaite.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Campbell, Morgan (2013-03-11). "Fantasy Sports: Can new TV network find an audience among poolies?". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Fantasy Sports Network Looks To Become a Reality In March Multichannel.com 2013-12-03
- World’s First Fantasy Sports TV Network Set to Launch RotoExperts.com 2014-01-14
- Fight Network, FNTSY Gain First US Berths With Cablevision Multichannel News 06-26-2014
- FNTSY Sports Network and Fight Network Launch on CenturyLink RotoExperts.com 04 19 16
- Anthem’s FNTSY Sports Network and Fight Network Launch on Buckeye CableSystem in the U.S. PRweb.com 09 15 15
- Fight Network, FNTSY Sports Network Launch on Roku SherDog.com 09 18 14
- Heitner, Darren. "Esports Media Company NXTAKE Completes Merger With FNTSY Sports Network". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Focus 360, Sports Byline USA To Syndicate Craig Carton". All Access. Retrieved 2018-05-21.
- Grossman, Evan. "Craig Carton set for radio return with launch of 'Carton and Friends'". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2018-05-21.
- "Elvis Duran Group Takes Over Management Of Fantasy Sports Radio Network". RadioInsight. 2019-01-24. Retrieved 2019-01-26.