FNTSY Sports Network
|FNTSY Sports Network|
|Launched||March 4, 2014|
|Owned by||SportsGrid Inc.|
|Slogan||Bring Your A Game|
|Sister channel(s)||DailyRoto, SportsGrid, RotoExperts, PWN.gg|
|Website||FNTSY Sports Network|
|Amazon Fire TV (Worldwide)||Application|
|Apple TV (Worldwide)||Application|
|LG Channel Plus (Worldwide)||Application (Ch 287)|
FNTSY Sports Network is owned by SportsGrid Inc. It began operations on March 4, 2014. SportsGrid is a NYC based tech-media company that owns a constellation of properties in the sports, fantasy sports, and esports industries.
The channel primarily broadcasts sports talk programming pertaining to fantasy sports (including sports radio-styled programs and video versions of podcasts), and also broadcasts a limited amount of sports programming focusing on niche events. FNTSY Sports Network also operates as streaming video and internet radio services.
In January 2013, Anthem Media's subsidiary Fight Media was granted approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a television channel called "The League – Fantasy Sports TV," described as "a national, English-language specialty Category B service devoted to fantasy sports, allowing viewers to act as owners and assume all the responsibilities associated with operating real sports franchises, and allowing viewers to create, monitor, trade and discuss players on their teams with others also playing fantasy sports."
In February 2013, Anthem acquired two fantasy sports analysis websites—RotoExperts and SportsGrid—to bolster content for the network. In March 2013, Anthem CEO Leonard Asper told the Toronto Star that the channel was expected to launch that September. He defended the network's concept by noting that "people thought 'How can there be an entire channel devoted to golf?' But now the Golf Channel is in 82 million homes", and that advertisers "leapt out of their chairs" when they learned that the network could appeal to both the traditional "baby boomer" demographic associated with fantasy sports, and the young male demographic that had also increasingly shown interest in fantasy.
In December 2013, it was reported that the channel, now named FNTSY Sports Network, was expected to launch in Canada and the United States in March 2014. On January 14, 2014, Anthem Media announced the launch date for the channel as March 4, 2014.. However, it was initially expected to launch only in the U.S. on that date with the Canadian launch limited to only an app and streaming online channel until January 29, 2014 when Anthem Media announced it will launch in Canada the same day as the U.S. through a carriage agreement with MTS. Three months after the channel's expected launch in the U.S., the channel officially launched in the U.S. on Cablevision's Optimum TV service.
The channel would subsequently gain wider distribution through obtaining carriage agreements with additional Canadian and American television service providers, in addition to international providers such as Roku.
In 2017, the channel was acquired by SportsGrid Inc.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
In March 2018, Craig Carton, who had resigned from WFAN New York's Boomer and Carton morning show in September 2017 after being arrested for charges of securities fraud, joined FNTSY Sports Network to host its new morning show Carton & Friends. In May 2018, the program was picked up for terrestrial radio syndication in partnership with Sports Byline USA.
- "Focus 360, Sports Byline USA To Syndicate Craig Carton". All Access. Retrieved 2018-05-21.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-7 CRTC 2013-01-09
- "SportsGrid.com To Be Acquired By RotoExperts, New Site To Become 'The Ultimate Sports & Fantasy Destination'". Mediaite.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Campbell, Morgan (2013-03-11). "Fantasy Sports: Can new TV network find an audience among poolies?". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Fantasy Sports Network Looks To Become a Reality In March Multichannel.com 2013-12-03
- World’s First Fantasy Sports TV Network Set to Launch RotoExperts.com 2014-01-14
- Fantasy Sports Network targets March launch Cartt.ca 2014-01-14
- Fantasy Sports Network to Launch on MTS Ultimate TV on March 4, 2014 RotoExperts.com 2014-01-29
- Fight Network, FNTSY Gain First US Berths With Cablevision Multichannel News 06-26-2014
- Anthem Media’s FNTSY Sports Network Now Available to All Bell Fibe TV Subscribers
- Fantasy Sports Netowkr Launches on Rogers Multichannel News 09 01 15
- FNTSY Sports Network and Fight Network Launch on CenturyLink RotoExperts.com 04 19 16
- Anthem’s FNTSY Sports Network and Fight Network Launch on Buckeye CableSystem in the U.S. PRweb.com 09 15 15
- Fight Network, FNTSY Sports Network Launch on Roku SherDog.com 09 18 14
- Grossman, Evan. "Craig Carton set for radio return with launch of 'Carton and Friends'". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2018-05-21.