FTANNG! in Cologne, Germany (2011).
|Genres||Electronica / Alternative Rock|
|Years active||2010 – present|
Pee Wee Vignold
FTANNG! are an Electronica / Alternative rock duo from Essen and Bochum, Germany. The band was founded by Dorian Deveraux as a solo outlet after his departure from Jesus on Extasy in 2010 and later joined by Pee Wee Vignold (formerly with The Eternal Afflict, Pzychobitch).
The band is following a strict DIY approach, operating outside the traditional music industry structures. Instead, they are giving away their music for free on their website as well as on various other music platforms across the web. In a statement on their website, they explained how they felt the album format has become "useless" to "bands that are new to the scene" and announced to release singles only.
On February 2, 2011 the band debuted with their first single King Of My World which was released under a Creative Commons license and can be downloaded from their website for free in 320 kbit/s MP3, 16-bit WAV and 24-bit WAV format. The song was produced with Tim Schuldt at 4CN-Studios. Also released was a remix / mashup kit containing 25 single Stems from the track that still remains available. Subsequently the song was remixed by Killing The DJ, Our Banshee, Aesthetic Violence, Graveyard Child Escape and MC1R. All remixes have been released for free on the FTANNG! official website.
On April 1, 2011 the band announced having signed to Universal Music for a three album deal. The supposed debut album King Of My World – The very, very best of FTANNG! was announced to be produced by Butch Vig and Linda Perry and to contain the debut single of the same name in various versions including a version featuring Ke$ha plus a cover version of Star Trekkin' by The Firm. This turned out to be an April Fools Joke to announce to release of their second single Waves which debuted on April 16, 2011 as a roughly cut full-length preview.
Upon their debut the band has received international recognition by the alternative music press as well as radio airplay. To gain further independence from external media outlets the band has invited their fans to a Q&A via their tumblelog on April 17, 2011.
After the release of Waves, the band went on an unannounced two year hiatus. During the time, the musicians have worked with an independent theater ensemble and provided sound design to a production of the stage play Astoria by Austrian playwright Jura Soyfer, produced music for an unreleased short film and admittedly got creatively stuck over producing a cover version of Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads. Additionally, Deveraux has worked as an extra on the sets of Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac as well as of an episode of Schimanski, a spin-off of the long-running German/Austrian/Swiss crime television series Tatort.
In September 2013, FTANNG! returned with the free online release of their third single Meaning in various formats via their website as well as multiple online platforms such as the iTunes Store, AmazonMP3 or Google Play Music. Once again produced at 4CN-Studios by Tim Schuldt it was released in two different versions: a regular version, mastered to achieve maximum loudness on earphone-based mobile devices such as smart phones; plus an audiophile version, mastered for playback on home or car hi-fi systems, which attempts to capture the full dynamic range of the song as experienced in the studio.
- Dorian Deveraux – vocals, bass, guitar, programming, keyboards, synthesizer, percussion
- Pee Wee Vignold – bass, guitar, programming, keyboards, synthesizer, percussion
- Tim Schuldt – guitar, bass
- "FTANNG! - The Routine". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTANNG! - KING OF MY WORLD remixed". Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "FTANNG! - Breaking!". Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "FTANNG! - Waves". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTANNG! - Out now: WAVES!". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTANNG! unites former Jesus On Extasy and The Eternal Afflict members for free download". Side-Line. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Palfrey, Sean (21 February 2011). "Former Jesus On Extasy frontman releases new single and remix kit". Dominion Magazine. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Ein bisschen Revolution: Entdecke FTANNG!". Sonic Seducer (in German). 4 February 2011. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Dark Essence No. 219: 14/2/2011". Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "FTANNG! - Everything You Always Wanted to Know About FTANNG! (But Were Afraid to Ask)". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Sommerhäuser, Lea (December 2013). "Zillo-Interview mit Dorian Deveraux von FTANNG!". Zillo. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTANNG! - MEANING out now!". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTANNG! - Buying and streaming!". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "New single for FTANNG: 'Meaning' released in normal and audiophile version". Side-Line. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Es gibt ein Leben nach Jesus On Extasy: FTANNG! bieten neue Single zum Gratis-Download an". Zillo. September 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2014.