Ernst playing for Beşiktaş in 2010
|Full name||Fabian Ernst|
|Date of birth||30 May 1979|
|Place of birth||Hannover, West Germany|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2002–2003||Germany Team 2006||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 June 2013.
Fabian Ernst (born 30 May 1979 in Hannover) is a retired German footballer who played as a midfielder. He was regarded as a two-way player who can stop the opposition and start attacks with his passing from central midfield.
He started his career with Hannover 96. From 1998 to 2000, he played for Hamburger SV in the Bundesliga, playing in 48 games, but scoring no goals. The midfielder turned then to Werder Bremen, where he was a major force in the league and cup double in 2004. In 152 games in the Bundesliga, he scored 11 goals. He left after spending three and a half years at Schalke and joined Beşiktaş J.K. on 2 February 2009. The player signed a contract which lasted until 2012. In his first season in Beşiktaş J.K., he scored two goals. In the end of the season, he was elected "The Best Player Of The Team" by the supporters. On 16 September 2010, Ernst headed in a last-minute goal against Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia to help his team to a winning start in the group stages of the UEFA Europa League. In the 2012–13 season, he joined Kasımpaşa S.K., another football club headquartered in Istanbul. He was also captain of the team. In June 2013, he announced that he was thinking about retirement.
In 2002, he played his first international game, representing Germany against Kuwait. Ernst was a member of the German squad at Euro 2004. As of the end of 2007, he has won 24 caps and scored one goal for his country.
After that first season by Schalke 04, he found himself not being selected by his national squad for FIFA World Cup 2006, just like for Euro 2008 and FIFA World Cup 2010.
|1.||9 October 2004||Azadi Stadium, Tehran, Iran||Iran||0–1||0–2||Friendly|
- Werder Bremen
- Schalke 04
- DFB-Ligapokal: 2005
- 2008–09 Golden Team Of The Year – Süper Lig
- Arnhold, Matthias (10 March 2016). "Fabian Ernst - Matches and Goals in Bundesliga". RSSSF. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "Fabian Ernst wechselt zu Besiktas". focus.de (in German). 1 February 2009. Retrieved 6 February 2009.
- "Ernst erwägt Karriereende" (in German). kicker.de. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Ex-Profi Fabian Ernst: Von der Königsklasse auf die Asche" (in German). n24.de. 5 September 2014.
- Arnhold, Matthias (10 March 2016). "Fabian Ernst - International Appearances". RSSSF. Retrieved 17 March 2016.