|Occupation||Angel investor, entrepreneur|
Fabian Thylmann (born 5 June 1978) is a German businessman who was founder and managing partner of the Internet pornography conglomerate Manwin (now MindGeek). In October 2013, he sold his stake in the company, which was at the time the largest pornography operator in the world. Since then he acts as an angel investor for young Startups in Brussels, Belgium where he also operates a co-working and incubation space, SN-Cube.
Thylmann was born in Aachen. is married with two children. He started computer programming when he was 17. His breakthrough came in the late 1990s when he developed software called NATS (Next-generation Affiliate Tracking Software), which enabled website operators to track users' clicks on advertisements and links so that they could be paid commission. Thylmann used the money he made with NATS to buy various Internet pornography companies, and in March 2010, he established Manwin by acquiring the companies Mensef and Interhub. Manwin bought Pornhub, YouPorn, RedTube, Brazzers, Twistys.com, Mofos and other pornography websites.
Sale of Manwin
In October 2013, Thylmann stepped down and sold Manwin for €73 million, for undisclosed reasons.
Upon the sale of Manwin, Thylmann wrote in a letter to employees:
|“||It is with a sad heart that I have to announce that I have decided to sell Manwin to Manwin's top management team. Please believe me that this decision has been one of the hardest in our lives for both my wife and myself. [...] Both myself and Manwin are at a stage where I can no longer add significant value to the best of my ability. I hope I have taught all of you and management the right values to be able to continue the company in the best possible way and I am looking forward to following its development.||”|
Extradition and indictment
In April 2015, Thylmann was indicted by the Cologne, Germany federal prosecutor on tax evasion charges. The charges were dropped when he paid 5 million euros but he still faces a suspended sentence in another case.
- Morris, Chris (18 January 2012). "Meet the New King of Porn". CNBC. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Pardon, Rhett (18 October 2013). "Fabian Thylmann Sells Stake in Manwin to Company Management". XBIZ.com. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Fabian Thylmann: van pornokoning tot mecenas van de Belgische startup-scene".
- Staff writer (17 December 2014). "'Porn king' detained on suspicion of tax evasion". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Wallace, Benjamin (30 January 2011). "The Geek-Kings of Smut". New York Magazine. p. 5. Archived from the original on 10 October 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Reynolds, Emma (20 December 2012). "'King of Porn' arrested on charges of avoiding paying tax on the £60million profits from his online sex empire". Daily Mail Online. Archived from the original on 17 December 2012. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Buse, Uwe (20 December 2012). "Harnessing the Internet: The German Porn King's Revolutionary Model Page 1". SPIEGEL ONLINE. p. 1. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Whigham, Nick (August 11, 2017). "Meet the man who changed the world of porn forever". The New York Post. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Pardon, Rhett (18 October 2013). "Fabian Thylmann Sells Stake in Manwin to Company Management". XBIZ.com. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Germany's 'Porno King' gives up empire". The Local. Berlin, Germany: The Local Europe GmbH. 21 October 2013. Archived from the original on 5 December 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Paterson, Tony (12 December 2012). "Fabian Thylmann, 'the ruler in the Realms of Lust', is arrested for alleged tax evasion". The Independent. Independent Print Ltd. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Pardon, Rhett (20 April 2015). "Fabian Thylmann reportedly indicted on tax evasion charges". XBIZ. Adnet Media. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Denim, Sue (22 April 2015). "Fabian Thylman indicted on tax evasion charge". YNOT Europe. YNOT Group. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- ""Porno-König" kauft sich mit fünf Millionen Euro frei". 2016-11-19. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Millionenauflage: Steuerverfahren gegen Porno-Unternehmer Thylmann eingestellt". 2016-11-19. Retrieved 2016-11-19.