|Full name||Fabien Pierre Aurélien Dominique Gilot|
27 April 1984 |
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||79 kg (174 lb)|
Fabien Pierre Aurélien Dominique Gilot (born 27 April 1984) is a French Olympic swimmer.
Fabien Gilot started by playing water-polo before switching to swimming. He is part of the French swimming team since the world championship of 2003 in Barcelona. He has collected the large majority of his medals in freestyle and medley relay events and is the only swimmer featuring in all the medalled French relay teams since 2003.
He swam for France at the 2008 Olympics, where he was part of France's silver medal winning 4 × 100 m freestyle relay. In the London 2012 Summer Olympics he again swam for France, and as part of France's team in the Men's 4 × 100 metre freestyle relay, shared in the team's gold medal. In his victory wave, Gilot revealed an underarm tattoo with three Hebrew words meaning "I am nothing without them", which he explained was a tribute to his maternal grandmother's Jewish husband Max Goldschmidt, an Auschwitz survivor. Gilot said that this quote had a very special meaning for him, representing his family and three stars – one for each of his brothers, as well as for his Olympic appearances. He described Goldschmidt as "a grandfather in every way". Goldschmidt died in 2012, but was able to see his grandson's tattoo and his swimming achievements, although not his Olympic gold.
- Sean Ingle (2008-08-11). "Olympics: Another gold for Michael Phelps in 4x100m freestyle". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- Sam Jones (2012-07-29). "London 2012: France upset USA to win dramatic 4x100m freestyle relay". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- Lior Zilberstein (2008-08-11). "French Olympiad's Hebrew tribute to Jewish grandfather". YNet.com. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Fabien Gilot on Blogger (French)
- Sports Reference.com page on Fabien Gilot
- Gilot's result/bio page from the 2008 Olympics website
|This biographical article related to a French swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|