|Birth name||Fitzroy Heslop|
|Genres||Drum and bass, Liquid funk|
Fitzroy Heslop, known by his stage name of Fabio, is a British drum and bass DJ and producer. Fabio has been described as one of the best DJs of all time. He runs the Creative Source record label.
Fabio has been at the forefront of the dance/rave scene for over two decades. Starting his career as a pirate radio DJ in the mid 80s and joining together with longtime DJ partner Grooverider, the pair happened to be in the right place at the right time when acid house exploded across London and the UK. Fabio and Grooverider are sometimes referred to as the "gruesome twosome".
Spinning early house music then championing darker, more bass heavy rave music which went on to become known as jungle and drum and bass, alongside Grooverider the duo have remained the leaders of the genre for over 20 years. Fabio is considered to be the godfather of drum and bass music for being one of the early pioneers in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Fabio is credited with pioneering the subgenre known as liquid funk as well as coining the name.
Taking the music from the raves to the radio on Kiss FM, then to BBC Radio 1, Fabio and Grooverider hosted the legendary One In The Jungle weekly show and then the weekly Drum & Bass Show, where Fabio continued to champion new talent and sounds. The Radio 1 show is credited with helping bring drum and bass to mainstream audiences. Fabio left the show and the station (along with Grooverider) when the new BBC Radio 1 lineup commenced in April 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Fabio | Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. 1965-09-27. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "BBC Radio 1 - Fabio and Grooverider - Episodes by date, 2010". Bbc.co.uk. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "DJ Fabio | The End". Endclub.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Since July 2013, Fabio and Grooverider now host a two hour show on Ministry of Sound Radio weekly.McIntosh, Steven (2011-12-07). "BBC Newsbeat - Judge Jules, Gilles Peterson among DJs leaving Radio 1". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Fabio – official site
- Fabio discography at Discogs
- Fabio profile at The End
- Fabio and Grooverider on Ministry Of Sound radio
- Fabio & Peshay mix from The End, 2004
- RBMA Radio On Demand - Birrarung Beats - Fabio (Creative Source)