|Born||Fábio Rogerio Maldonado
March 17, 1980
Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil
|Other names||Caipira de Aço (The Steel Hillbilly)|
|Residence||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||220.5 lb (100.0 kg; 15.75 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Florianópolis, Brazil
Miami, Florida, United States
American Top Team
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuBrown belt in|
|Years active||2000–present (MMA)
2002–2010, 2016 (Boxing)
|Professional boxing record|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Amateur boxing record|
|Boxing record from BoxRec|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|2000 Mauá||+91 kg|
|1999 Ibirité||-91 kg|
|1998 São José do Rio Preto||+91 kg|
Fábio Rogério Maldonado (born March 17, 1980) is a Brazilian professional mixed martial artist and boxer currently competing in the Light Heavyweight division of Fight Nights Global. A professional MMA competitor since 2000, he has also competed for the UFC.
Simultaneous to becoming a mixed martial artist fighter, Maldonado also competed professionally as a boxer in his native Brazil, making his professional boxing debut in April 2002. As a boxer he has a record of 22-0 with an impressive 21 knockouts. Maldonado last boxed professionally in June 2010. After his release from the UFC, Maldonado returned to professional boxing. He won his return fight with a round 1 TKO over Robson Bambu. Within less than a month, he proceeded to knock out Alessandro Bernardo in the first round with one punch.
Mixed martial arts career
Maldonado made his professional mixed martial arts debut in September 2000 and also began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu the same year. During the first eight years of his career, he competed exclusively in his native Brazil, and made his North American debut in November 2008.
In the decade previous to his debut with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Maldonado compiled a record of 17-3. Notable victories from this period include Vitor Miranda and two TKO victories over Maiquel Falcão.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
For his third UFC fight, Maldonado faced Igor Pokrajac on May 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier. Even though Maldonado rocked Pokrajac on several occasions, he lost the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision.
Maldonado was expected to face UFC newcomer Jorgen Kruth at UFC on Fuel TV 5. However, Kruth abruptly retired from MMA and Maldonado was briefly linked to a bout with Cyrille Diabate on November 17, 2012 at UFC 154. However, Maldonado stepped up and faced Glover Teixeira on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153, replacing an injured Quinton Jackson. Maldonado absorbed a tremendous amount of punishment on the ground, which was so brutal it earned "Beatdown of the Year" honors from Sherdog.com. Maldonado ultimately lost the fight at the end of the second round, when the doctor deemed him unable to continue.
Maldonado faced Gian Villante on March 23, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 38. After losing the first round to Villante, Maldonado rallied back to win the next two rounds utilizing his boxing and won the bout via unanimous decision (29–27, 29–28, 29–28).
Maldonado faced Stipe Miocic in a Heavyweight bout on May 31, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale, replacing Junior dos Santos. He lost the fight by TKO due to punches early in the first round.
Maldonado was expected to face returning veteran Quinton Jackson on April 25, 2015 at UFC 186. However, on April 7, Jackson was removed from the card after his most recent employer, Bellator MMA, was granted an injunction by a New Jersey Superior Court judge preventing him from competing for the UFC after it was alleged that he breached a deal signed in June 2013. On April 21, a judge in the Superior Court of New Jersey's Appellate Division overturned the injunction against Jackson, allowing him to compete for the UFC. The bout took place at a catchweight of 215 lbs. Maldonado lost the fight by unanimous decision.
Maldonado was expected to face Tom Lawlor on November 7, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 77. However, Lawlor was forced from the bout with injury and replaced by Corey Anderson. He lost the one sided fight by unanimous decision and was subsequently released from the promotion.
Fight Nights Global
Maldonado made his Fight Nights Global debut facing Pride and Strikeforce vet Fedor Emelianenko on June 17, 2016 at "Fight Nights Global 50" competing for a regional promotion in Russia. Despite dropping and nearly finishing Emelianenko on multiple occasions in the first round, Emelianenko rallied over the last two rounds and was awarded a controversial majority decision victory. 4 of 5 media outlets scored the bout a draw. All three judges being appointed by the Russian MMA Union was seen as a conflict of interest. In turn, in mid-July, the World MMA Association (WMMAA) said they declared the fight a draw. However, the official result will not be overturned.
In the second fight against Mikhail Mokhnatkin at Fight Nights Global 52 on October 1, 201. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Maldonado faced Abdul-Khamid-Davlyatov at Fight Nights Global 60 on March 5, 2017. He won the fight via technical knockout in the first round.
Maldonado faced Kurban Omarov at Fight Nights Global 73 on September 4, 2017. He won the fight via submission in the third round to win the vacant FNG Light Heavyweight championship.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Universal Boxing Council
- UBC Iberian-American Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- Liga Paulista de Boxe Profissional
- São Paulo State Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- Confederação Brasileira de Boxe
- Federação Paulista de Boxe
- São Paulo Amateur State Championship (2000, 2001)
- São Paulo Amateur State Championship Runner-up (1999)
- 2001 Jogos Abertos do Interior Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
- 2001 Golden Gloves Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
- 1999 Jogos Abertos do Interior Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
- 1998 Forja de Campeões Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
- 1998 Jogos Abertos do Interior Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
- 1997 Jogos Abertos do Interior Amateur Tournament Gold Medalist
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|35 matches||24 wins||11 losses|
|Win||24–11||Kurban Omarov||Submission (guillotine choke)||Fight Nights Global 73||September 4, 2017||3||3:01||Dagestan, Russia||Won the Vacant FNG Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||23–11||Abdul-Khamid Davlyatov||TKO (punches)||Fight Nights Global 60||March 5, 2017||1||4:20||Dushanbe, Tajikistan||Heavyweight bout.|
|Loss||22–11||Mikhail Mokhnatkin||Decision (unanimous)||Fight Nights Global 52||October 1, 2016||3||5:00||Nizhnevartovsk, Russia||Heavyweight bout.|
|Loss||22–10||Fedor Emelianenko||Decision (majority)||Fight Nights Global 50||June 17, 2016||3||5:00||St. Petersburg, Russia||Heavyweight bout.|
|Loss||22–9||Corey Anderson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3||November 7, 2015||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Loss||22–8||Quinton Jackson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 186||April 25, 2015||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Catchweight (215 lbs) bout.|
|Win||22–7||Hans Stringer||TKO (punches)||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||2||4:06||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||21–7||Stipe Miocic||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale: Miocic vs. Maldonado||May 31, 2014||1||0:35||São Paulo, Brazil||Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||21–6||Gian Villante||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Henderson 2||March 23, 2014||3||5:00||Natal, Brazil|
|Win||20–6||Joey Beltran||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields||October 9, 2013||3||5:00||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||19–6||Roger Hollett||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Loss||18–6||Glover Teixeira||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||18–5||Igor Pokrajac||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||18–4||Kyle Kingsbury||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||18–3||James McSweeney||TKO (punches)||UFC 120||October 16, 2010||3||0:48||London, England|
|Win||17–3||Nelson Martins||TKO (punches)||First Class Fight 4||June 30, 2010||1||0:40||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||16–3||Jackson Mora||Submission (guillotine choke)||Memorial Fight Qualifying||June 4, 2010||1||1:19||Santos, Brazil|
|Win||15–3||Jessie Gibbs||Submission (punches)||Bitetti Combat MMA 7||May 28, 2010||2||2:52||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||14–3||Alessandro Leal||TKO (punches)||Combat Power Championship||March 13, 2010||1||4:57||Piracicaba, Brazil|
|Win||13–3||Fernando Tressino||TKO (corner stoppage)||Bitetti Combat MMA 5||December 12, 2009||2||5:00||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||12–3||Vitor Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||Bitetti Combat MMA 4||September 12, 2009||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||11–3||Edgard Castaldelli Filho||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 12||December 3, 2008||2||4:44||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||10–3||Shaton Vaughn||Submission (guillotine choke)||Fightworld 16: International||November 1, 2008||1||4:48||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||9–3||Maiquel Falcão||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 9||March 15, 2008||2||1:52||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–3||Renato Matos||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 7||December 8, 2007||1||0:50||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Loss||7–3||Alexandre Ferreira||Submission (kneebar)||Mo Team League: Final||November 10, 2007||1||0:27||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||7–2||Vitor Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||Mo Team League 2||September 29, 2007||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||6–2||Maiquel Falcão||TKO (punches)||Circuito Mariliense MMA||May 18, 2007||3||0:46||Marilia, Brazil|
|Win||5–2||Ildemar Alcântara||Decision (unanimous)||Predador Kamae 2||January 25, 2007||5||5:00||Florianopolis, Brazil|
|Win||4–2||Cleisson Mamute||TKO (punches)||Pantanal Combat||February 10, 2006||2||2:01||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||3–2||Bruno Alves||TKO (punches)||Clube da Luta 1||December 14, 2004||2||4:54||Salvador, Brazil|
|Loss||2–2||Alessandro Leal||Submission (kneebar)||Meca World Vale Tudo 5||June 9, 2001||1||5:22||Curitiba, Brazil|
|Loss||2–1||Omni Santos||Decision (unanimous)||Surf Fight Circuit: Day 2||September 23, 2000||2||10:00||Brasília, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Augusto Menezes Santos||TKO (punches)||Surf Fight Circuit: Day 1||September 22, 2000||2||3:03||Brasília, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Robson Parazinho||TKO (punches)||Surf Fight Circuit: Day 1||September 22, 2000||1||2:21||Brasília, Brazil|
Professional boxing record
|Professional record summary|
|25 fights||25 wins||0 losses|
|25||Win||25–0||Clayton Soriano de Lyra||KO||2 (8), 1:02||April 7, 2017||Hotel Golden Park, Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil|
|24||Win||24–0||Alessandro Bernardo||TKO||1 (6), 0:29||Mar 4, 2016||Arena Santos, Santos, São Paulo, Brazil|
|23||Win||23–0||Robson Bambu||KO||1 (6), 1:35||Feb 27, 2016||Combat Club, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|22||Win||22–0||Carlos Barcelete||TKO||1 (6), 2:40||June 11, 2010||Prefeitura Municipal, Pitangueiras, São Paulo, Brazil|
|21||Win||21–0||Eduardo Franca||TKO||1 (10), 2:48||May 1, 2010||Ginásio João Sebastião Ferraro, Salto, São Paulo, Brazil|
|20||Win||20–0||Carlos Alberto De Oliveira Junior||TKO||3 (6), 1:37||Mar 20, 2009||Centro Esportivo Robinho, São Vicente, São Paulo, Brazil|
|19||Win||19–0||Richard Da Gloria||TKO||3 (6), 2:43||Feb 28, 2009||Club 109, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|18||Win||18–0||Adriano Vicente||TKO||1 (10), 0:56||Dec 27, 2008||Sodré Santoro Arena, Guarulhos, São Paulo, Brazil||Won vacant São Paulo State Heavyweight title.|
|17||Win||17–0||Rodrigo Oliveira de Lima||TKO||2 (6)||Oct 4, 2008||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|16||Win||16–0||Gelson Letra||TKO||2 (6), 0:52||Sep 13, 2008||Ginásio do GRES Valencia, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|15||Win||15–0||Augusto Custodio de Melo||KO||1 (6), 1:38||2008-02-21||Vale do Anhangabaú, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|14||Win||14–0||Vonilson Maciel dos Santos||KO||2 (6), 1:03||2008-01-26||Ginásio Edvaldo Oliveira Chaves “Pita”, Cubatão, São Paulo, Brazil|
|13||Win||13–0||Sidney De Oliveira da Silva||TKO||2 (6)||2007-08-31||Ginasio de Esportes Antonio Guenaga, Santos, São Paulo, Brazil|
|12||Win||12–0||Augusto Custodio de Melo||TKO||1 (6), 0:55||2007-08-03||Ginasio Municipal Blota Junior, Ribeirão Bonito, São Paulo, Brazil|
|11||Win||11–0||Paulo Dos Santos Aragao||KO||1 (12), 0:15||2007-05-06||Clube Atletico Guarany, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil||Won vacant UBC Iberian-American Heavyweight title.|
|10||Win||10–0||Valtencir Franca||RTD||3 (10)||2006-12-23||Associacao Des Polícia Militar, Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil|
|9||Win||9–0||Josias Ribeiro||KO||5 (8)||2005-04-02||Ginasio Municipal, Vitória da Conquista, Bahia, Brazil|
|8||Win||8–0||Glen Morgan||DQ||4 (6), 1:15||2004-06-04||Desert Diamond Casino, Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|7||Win||7–0||John Turlington||TKO||3 (4), 1:42||2004-05-17||Bally's Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|6||Win||6–0||Tim Grant||KO||1 (4), 1:14||2003-05-17||Trump Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|5||Win||5–0||Richard Da Gloria||KO||2 (4), 2:03||2002-11-07||Ginasio Baby Barioni, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|4||Win||4–0||Jonatas Dos Santos||TKO||2 (4)||2002-08-17||São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|3||Win||3–0||Edson Arantes do Lino||KO||1 (6), 2:35||July 23, 2002||Ginasio Baby Barioni, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|2||Win||2–0||Eron Chaves||KO||1 (6)||May 18, 2002||Ginasio Municipal, Araras, São Paulo, Brazil|
|1||Win||1–0||Marival Sobral Sobrinho||TKO||1 (4)||April 23, 2002||Ginasio Baby Barioni, São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
- Professional MMA record for Fábio Maldonado from Sherdog
- Professional boxing record for Fábio Maldonado from BoxRec
- >> Fabio "Caipira de Aco" Maldonado MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com
- Brian Knapp (2015-04-24). "UFC 186 Weigh-in Results: Demetrious Johnson, Kyoji Horiguchi on Target for Title Clash". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- "Fight Card - UFC 179 Aldo vs. Mendes 2". UFC.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Fabio Maldonado - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Fabio Maldonado Boxing Record". boxrec.com. May 15, 2012. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Whitman, Mike (September 28, 2010). "Maldonado Replaces Blackledge at UFC 120". Sherdog.com. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- "Kyle Kingsbury vs. Fabio Malonado added to The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. 2011-03-15. Archived from the original on 2011-03-19.
- "Rosa Cuts to 205, Meets Maldonado at UFC Live 6". sherdog.com. 2011-08-17.
- "Fabio Maldonado scratched from UFC on Versus 6 due to injury". mmajunkie.com. September 14, 2011. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011.
- "Fabio Maldonado out of UFC 142". uksports.com.br. January 14, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Fabio Maldonado vs. Igor Pokrajac slated for UFC on FUEL TV 3". mmajunkie.com. March 13, 2012. Archived from the original on March 15, 2012.
- "Maldonado vs. Kruth Set For UFC Nottingham". YourMMA.tv. July 3, 2012. Archived from the original on April 18, 2013.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 5's Kruth retires, Maldonado gets Diabate at UFC 154". mmajunkie.com. September 7, 2012. Archived from the original on September 10, 2012.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (September 12, 2012). "Fabio Maldonado Fills In For Quinton Jackson, Set To Fight Glover Teixeira In Co-Main Event Of UFC 153". mmamania.com.
- Don Wilson (March 6, 2013). "The Hulk Meets Maldonado At UFC On FX 8". TopMMANews.com.
- Guilherme Cruz (2013-08-15). "Joey Beltran meets Fabio Maldonado at UFC Fight Night 29". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Mookie Alexander. "Fabio Maldonado says he's fighting Gian Villante at March UFC event in Brazil". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-05-06). "Fabio Maldonado vs. Stipe Miocic headlines TUF: Brazil 3 Finale card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Cole, Ross (7 May 2014). "Fabio Maldonado Now Fights Stipe Miocic In TUF Brazil 3 Finale Main Event". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Staff (2014-09-04). "Fabio Maldonado vs. Hans Stringer added to UFC 179 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Staff (2014-10-26). "UFC 179 bonuses: Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Fabio Maldonado, Gilbert Burns win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-26.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-01-17). "'Rampage' Jackson's UFC return will come against Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- Steven Marrocco and Dann Stepp (2015-04-07). "Bellator granted injunction; 'Rampage' Jackson ruled out of UFC 186 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-07.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-04-21). "Is Quinton Jackson back on UFC 186?". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Brett Okamoto (2015-04-26). "Quinton Jackson earns win over Fabio Maldonado in UFC return". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-08-18). "Fabio Maldonado vs. Tom Lawlor among additions to UFC Fight Night 77 in São Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-08-18.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-10-20). "With Tom Lawlor injured, Corey Anderson steps in to face Fabio Maldonado at UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-11-07). "UFC Fight Night 77 results: Corey Anderson dominates Fabio Maldonado for easy decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-12-29). "Fabio Maldonado among eight fighters released from the UFC". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Andreas Hale (17 June 2016). "Fedor Emelianenko wins in controversial fashion in Russia". sports.yahoo.com.
- MMA Decisions (17 June 2016). "Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fabio Maldonado". mmadecisions.com.
- Karim Zidan (19 June 2016). "EFN 50: Fedor vs. Maldonado controversy reveals conflict of interest". bloodyelbow.com.
- Darragh Murphy (15 July 2016). "The result of Fedor Emelianenko's bizarre fight against Fabio Maldonado has reportedly been overturned". sportsjoe.ie.com.
- "53.Brazilian National Championships - Sao Jose do Rio Preto - May 5-9 (?) 1998". amateur-boxing.strefa.pl.
- "54.Brazilian National Championships - Ibirite - 1999". amateur-boxing.strefa.pl.
- "55.Brazilian National Championships - Maua - 2000". amateur-boxing.strefa.pl.
- "Grande ABC nocauteia os adversários e conquista 7 títulos". dgabc.com.br.
- "Boxe: Sao Caetano nocauteia o Corinthians". dgabc.com.br.
- "Só os Melhores São Chamados - Fabio Maldonado e NeoNutri". novaiguacu-suplemento.blogspot.com.[permanent dead link]
- "AD S.Caetano é bicampeã do Torneio Luvas de Ouro". dgabc.com.br.
- "SPARRING: Sem cinturão". folha.uol.com.br.