Fabio Rosati is an internet entrepreneur best known for his work as CEO of gig economy platforms Elance and Upwork (formerly Elance-oDesk) until April 2015 and as Chairman and CEO of hourly work platform Snag since July 2018. Rosati is a contributor to online work, the freelance economy, and online staffing.
Education and career
Originally from Florence, Italy, attended Georgetown University. Rosati joined Gemini Consulting (now Capgemini Consulting) in its early days and left a decade later to join a Silicon Valley start-up, Elance, as Chief Executive Officer. In 2006 Elance sold its enterprise software business to focus on a new platform where businesses and freelance talent could connect and collaborate with each other online.  Among the largest and fastest-growing companies in the online work industry, Elance allowed businesses to find, hire, manage and pay freelancers. In 2013, Elance had over 3 million users, and over $300 million in annual billings. In December 2013, as Elance and oDesk announced their merger, Rosati was named CEO of Elance-oDesk. In April 2015, with more than 13 million users and $1B in annual billings, Elance-oDesk introduced a unified platform and a new name, Upwork. Rosati served on Upwork's board of directors until 2017 and is a member of the board of directors at Snag, Social Tables and Xometry.
- "Elance-oDesk relaunches with new name and new platform". Silicon Valley Business Journal. 5 May 2015.
- "Elance-oDesk becomes Upwork in push to build $10B in freelancer revenue"". Forbes. 5 May 2015.
- "Snag taps former Upwork CEO as new leader". www2.staffingindustry.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Times-Dispatch, JOHN REID BLACKWELL Richmond. "Snag names new chief executive officer and completes $18 million capital raise from investors". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Elance-oDesk flings open the door to a massive digital workforce". Washington Post. 13 June 2014.
- "The Freelance Economy, radio broadcast aired". The Diane Rehm Show. 24 July 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Olson, Lindsey (29 November 2012). "States With High Unemployment Rates Are Turning to Freelancers for Work". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Stern, Gary M. (November 27, 2012). "Welcome to the age of the freelancer". CNN Money,. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Karpie, Andrew (5 May 2015). ""Elance-oDesk becomes Upwork,"". Spend Matters.
- "Fabio Rosati President & CEO, Elance Inc". Web 2.0 Summit. November 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Karpie, Andrew (6 February 2013). "Online Staffing Platform, Elance, Reports Continuing High Growth in 2012". Staffing Industry Analysis. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Null, Christopher (23 July 2013). "Inside e-ployment: Online staffing services put temporary labor within reach of small businesses". PC World. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Global Online Employment Report". Elance. 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "The gig economy is growing up". Pandodaily. 18 December 2013.