|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Face detection is a computer technology being used in a variety of applications that identifies human faces in digital images. Face detection also refers to the psychological process by which humans locate and attend to faces in a visual scene.
Definition and relation to other tasks
Face detection can be regarded as a specific case of object-class detection. In object-class detection, the task is to find the locations and sizes of all objects in an image that belong to a given class. Examples include upper torsos, pedestrians, and cars.
Face-detection algorithms focus on the detection of frontal human faces. It is analogous to image detection in which the image of a person is matched bit by bit. Image matches with the image stores in database. Any facial feature changes in the database will invalidate the matching process.
In human physiology
Face detection also refers to the psychological process by which humans locate and attend to faces in a visual scene. Research shows that our ability to detect faces is affected by a range of visual properties such as color and orientation. 
Face detection is gaining the interest of marketers. A webcam can be integrated into a television and detect any face that walks by. The system then calculates the race, gender, and age range of the face. Once the information is collected, a series of advertisements can be played that is specific toward the detected race/gender/age.
- TSL color space
- Computer vision
- Facial recognition system
- Three-dimensional face recognition
- Lewis, M.B. & Ellis, H.D. (2003). How we detect a face: A survey of the psychological evidence. International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, 13, 3-7. DOI: 10.1002/ima.10040
- Lewis, M.B. & Edmonds, A.J. (2003). Face detection: Mapping human performance, Perception, 32, 903-920. DOI:10.1068/p5007
- Lewis, Michael, and Andrew Edmonds. "Searching for faces in scrambled scenes." Visual Cognition 12.7 (2005): 1309-1336.DOI:10.1080/13506280444000535
- "DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot S5 IS". Dcresource.com. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Tesco face detection sparks needless surveillance panic, Facebook fails with teens, doubts over Google+ | Technology | theguardian.com