Type of site
|Online dating service|
|Launched||September 5, 2019|
Users can filter results based on location, number of children, religion, age, or height, and can match with other users within a 100-km range. There is also an option to look for users that are in or out of range temporarily, as well as a Lucky Match filter that extends the user's regular limits to broaden the search. Users who have matched with each other can start a voice chat.
Facebook announced the product at their F8 developer conference in May 2018. The service was not fully announced at the conference, and attendees were told that more information would be coming soon. The feature was in internal beta testing within several months of the conference.
Facebook Dating first launched in Colombia on September 20, 2018. Users contributed to establishing what the dating site would look like for future users, as it was still in the testing stages. Facebook stated that if the testing went well, it would become a more prominent part of the existing Facebook application.
The second expansion launched in Canada and Thailand in October 2018. The feature is set to expand to 14 new countries, including Australia, Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guyana, and Suriname. The service has been active for a year in Colombia, Thailand, Canada, Argentina, and Mexico. It allows users to connect with others all over the world and isn't confined to the specific region that they live in.
Facebook Dating was partially launched in the United States on September 5, 2019. Some users are finding that the application will not let them opt into Facebook Dating at all even though others can log in on their device and access it.
- FB dating. How to access from a laptop?
- Matsakis, Louise (2018-11-08). "Facebook Is Testing Its Dating Service. Here's How It's Different From Tinder". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Carman, Ashley (2018-09-20). "Facebook Dating launches today with a test in Colombia". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Peters, Jay (2021-08-10). "Facebook Dating is getting audio chats". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-08-11.
- "F8 2018: Sharing to Stories, AR Camera Effects, Oculus Go and More Highlights From Day 1 | Facebook Newsroom". Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Newton, Casey (August 3, 2018). "Facebook has started internal testing of its dating app". The Verge. Retrieved August 4, 2018.
- "Facebook expands its dating feature test to Canada and Thailand". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- Paez, Danny. "Facebook Dating: Release Date, Launch, and Why It Could Rule Dating". Inverse. Retrieved Dec 2, 2019.
- "It's Facebook Official, Dating Is Here". Sep 5, 2019. Retrieved Dec 2, 2019.
- "r/FacebookDating - Facebook Dating not showing up". reddit. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Facebook Dating Expands to Europe
- Paez, Danny (May 2, 2019). "Facebook Dating: Release Date, Launch, and Why It Could Rule Dating". Inverse. Retrieved September 6, 2019.
- Constine, Josh (August 3, 2018). "Facebook Dating will be a feature, not an app; here's a peek". TechCrunch. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Constine, Josh (September 20, 2018). "Inside Facebook Dating, launching first in Colombia". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- Harwell, Drew; Dwoskin, Elizabeth (May 3, 2018). "Facebook's dating service is a chance to meet the catfisher, advertiser or scammer of your dreams". Washington Post. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Matsakis, Louise (September 20, 2018). "Facebook Is Testing Its Dating Service. Here's How It's Different From Tinder". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028.
- Price, Rob (August 3, 2018). "Here's our first look at Facebook's dating feature, now being tested by its employees". Business Insider. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Statt, Nick (May 1, 2018). "Facebook is taking on Tinder with new dating features". The Verge. Retrieved August 4, 2018.