Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered (F.O.R.C.E.) is a non-profit organization and an active web-based community for women at high risk of getting breast and ovarian cancer due to their family history and genetic status.
FORCE was founded in 1999 by veterinarian, Sue Friedman after being diagnosed with breast cancer at age 33 and learning that she carried a BRCA mutation. In 2001, FORCE coined the term "Cancer Previvor" for "survivor of a predisposition to cancer" to give a name, voice, and community to people who faced a very high risk of cancer but who had not been diagnosed with the disease.
The U.S. organization is based in Tampa, Florida. It is funded by a small number of individual donors, foundations, and pharmaceutical companies and cancer treatment centers. They characterize the tens of thousands of dollars received from the breast cancer industry as being "limited" and have a policy of being an unbiased source of information.
The F.O.R.C.E. website remains the only one specifically devoted to the community of women with the highest risk for breast and ovarian cancer. The British Medical Journal has named the F.O.R.C.E. website as one of its "websites of the week".
FORCE has many programs including
- the website (www.facingourrisk.org) with over 500 pages of information on hereditary breast and ovarian cancer;
- a toll-free helpline (866-288-RISK)
- free webinars (www.facingourrisk.org/events/webinar.php)
- print and on-line newsletter and brochures (www.facingourrisk.org/information_research/publications/newsletter.php)
- their annual Joining FORCEs Conference (www.facingourrisk.org/conference) the only international conference by and for the hereditary cancer community
|This oncology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a non-profit organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|