Fact (US magazine)
|First issue||January 1964|
|Final issue||August 1967|
|Based in||New York City|
Fact was an American quarterly magazine that commented on controversial topics. It was in circulation between January 1964 and August 1967.
Fact was notable for having been sued by Barry Goldwater over a 1964 issue entitled "The Unconscious of a Conservative: A special Issue on the Mind of Barry Goldwater". In Goldwater v. Ginzburg, a federal jury awarded Goldwater $1 in compensatory damages and $75,000 in punitive damages, to punish Ginzburg and the magazine for being reckless. The American Psychiatric Association then issued the Goldwater rule reaffirming medical privacy and forbidding commenting on a patient whom the individual psychiatrist has not personally examined.
The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit affirmed the award and the Supreme Courts denied a petition for certiorari (review); Justice Black and Justice Douglas joined a dissenting opinion, rather unusual at the time (1970) on orders denying "cert."
- Maria Popova (January 5, 2011). "Ralph Ginzburg's fact:, Vintage Wikileaks?". Brain Pickings. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- Catalog of Copyright Entries. Third Series: 1967: July-December. Copyright Office, Library of Congress. 1971. p. 1793. Retrieved May 16, 2020.
- Meggs, Philip B. “Two Magazines of the Turbulent ‘60s: a ‘90s Perspective.” Print 48 (Mar-Apr 1994): 68-77 OCLC 201042699
- "Eros, Fact and Avant Garde". designishistory.com. Retrieved 22 October 2020.
- Richard A. Friedman (May 23, 2011). "How a Telescopic Lens Muddles Psychiatric Insights". New York Times. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- 414 F.2d 324, 337 (2d Cir.1969), cert. denied, 396 US 1049, 90 S.Ct. 701, 24 L.Ed.2d 695.
- Ginzburg, Ralph & Boroson, Warren (1967). The Best of Fact: Thirty-Two Articles that have made History from America's Most Courageous Magazine. Trident Press. OCLC 1368372.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Goldwater v. Ginzburg, 414 F.2d 324, 337 (2d Cir.1969), cert. denied, 396 US 1049, 90 S.Ct. 701, 24 L.Ed.2d 695.
- "Flat File N°1 - Fact Magazine". Herb Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography. 16 February 2016.