This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Parent||Dow Jones & Company|
Factiva is a business information and research tool owned by Dow Jones & Company. Factiva aggregates content from both licensed and free sources, and provides organizations with search, alerting, dissemination, and other information management capabilities. Factiva products provide access to more than 32,000 sources (such as newspapers, journals, magazines, television and radio transcripts, photos, etc.) from nearly every country worldwide in 28 languages, including more than 600 continuously updated newswires.
The company was founded as a joint-venture between Reuters and Dow Jones & Company in May 1999 under the Dow Jones Reuters Business Interactive name, and renamed Factiva six months later. Timothy M. Andrews, a longtime Dow Jones executive, was founding president and chief executive of the venture.
Mr. Andrews was succeeded by Clare Hart in January 2000, another longtime Dow Jones executive, who was serving as Factiva's vice president and director of global sales.
It developed modules with Microsoft, Oracle Corp., IBM and Yahoo! . Factiva has also partnered with EuroSpider, Comintelli, PeopleSoft, MediaMap, Biz360, ChoicePoint, BTRadianz, AtHoc, and Reuters. Factiva has also been included as of March 2003 in Microsoft's Office 2003 program as one of the News research options within the Research Pane.
In 2005, Factiva acquired two private companies: London-based 2B Reputation Intelligence Ltd. and Denver, Colorado-based taxonomy services and software firm, Synapse, the Knowledge Link Corporation. 2B was a technology and consulting business, specializing in media monitoring and reputation management. Synapse provided taxonomy management software, pre-built taxonomies and taxonomy-building and indexing services.
This acquisition brought with it Synaptica, the taxonomy management software tool developed by Synapse, and Taxonomy Warehouse, a website developed by Synapse. Both Synaptica and Taxonomy Warehouse were developed by Factiva after the acquisition and are now owned by Dow Jones.
In 2006, Reuters sold its 50 percent share of Factiva to Dow Jones. Factiva was integrated into the Enterprise Media Group within Dow Jones. Clare Hart was the executive vice president of this operating group.
Factiva provides searching by free-text, as well as region, subject, author, industry and company metadata. Searches can be further filtered by publication, language and date range.
Factiva offers a number of enterprise integration option s, including a fully comprehensive web services API, the Factiva Developers Kit. This toolkit allows organisations to embed Factiva content and services within enterprise workflow applications.
In 2008 Dow Jones launched the website Synaptica Central to highlight the Synaptica tool and to discuss controlled vocabularies and semantic technologies etc.
There are local competitors, specialized in European and Asian languages, with better coverage in some geographies (French-speaking countries, Russian-speaking countries, Chinese-speaking countries...)
- French-speaking countries : CEDROM-SNI/Europresse, L'Argus de la Presse
- Russian-speaking countries : Medialogia, RussoScopie/Integrum WW, Eastview, SCAN (Interfax)
- Chinese-speaking countries: Wisers
- "Dow Jones Interactive, Reuters Business Briefing Merged into Dow Jones Reuters Business Interactive". Information Today, Inc. 17 May 1999. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Factiva: The New Name for Dow Jones Reuters Business Interactive". Information Today, Inc. 8 November 1999. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2014-05-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "FOXNews.com - Thumbnails of Dow Jones and News Corp. - Business And Money - Business News - Financial News". www.foxnews.com. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Product Review of NewsEdge.com (Value - Competitors, Development & Pricing)". Jinfo. Retrieved 2017-07-13.
- DOW JONES & COMPANY CHAMPIONS NEW GENERATION OF USER EXPERIENCE FOR FACTIVA CUSTOMERS Archived 2014-03-20 at the Wayback Machine. Dow Jones Press Release, December 4, 2012
- "NewsEdge". www.newsedge.com.
- "Taking the Pulse of the Planet". www.semantic-visions.com.
- "Home". www.corporateaffiliations.com.
- "Veille et analyse d'informations stratégiques avec Europresse". Europresse.
- "Медиалогия – мониторинг СМИ и СОЦМЕДИА". Медиалогия - система мониторинга СМИ.
- "Search Results for "Russia/integrum-russian-media-monitor/" – NamSor Blog". russoscopie.com.
- "East View Information Services Home Page". www.eastview.com.
- "СКАН - система мониторинга СМИ от Интерфакса". www.scan-interfax.ru.