Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb
|Ekonomski fakultet (EFZG)|
The Faculty of Economics and Business is one of the top faculties of University of Zagreb.
The Faculty of Economics and Business Zagreb was founded in 1920; hence, it represents the oldest institution of higher education in this part of Europe as a part of the University of Zagreb. Today, the Faculty of Economics and Business Zagreb is the leading and the largest institution of higher education for entrepreneurial education in the Region.
The Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb (hereinafter: FEBUZ) is situated in one of the most modern and biggest buildings housing an institution of higher education. Its surface area of total 30,303 m² is suitable for high-quality organization of teaching process, organization of domestic and international conferences, extracurricular student activities, food provision for students and employees, accommodation of guests etc.
A new facility belonging to the FEBUZ was built within the Borongaj Scientific and Educational University Campus in 2011. The total surface area of the facility is 832.9 m².
FEBUZ is the first institution of higher education within the University of Zagreb which possesses the quality management system certificate based on ISO 9001: 2008.
In 2011 FEBUZ was awarded a prestigious EPAS accreditation for BDiB/EBIP program by the Accreditation Board of the European Foundation for Management Development.
Dean - Lajoš Žager, PhD.
Vice Dean for Research, Postgraduate Studies and Doctorates - Nataša Erjavec, PhD.
Vice Dean for International Relations and Accreditations - Jurica Pavičić, PhD.
Vice Dean for Education, Student Affairs and Quality Management - Mislav Ante Omazić, PhD.
Vice Dean for Business Processes and Administration - Anita Pavković, PhD.
Faculty of Economics and Business is a part of the University of Zagreb. The Faculty started out as the School of Commerce and Transport in 1920. The purpose of the School of Commerce and Transport was to provide theoretical education in fields of banking, domestic and international trade, transport and insurance. Since then it has often changed its name but never its mission - to emphasize the importance of economics and business for the well-being of the country and its citizens, as well as to educate experts in these fields, especially in the current environment of internationalization and globalization.
School of Commerce and Transport became the Economic-commercial School with the legal status of the University’s faculty in the 1925. Economic-commercial School has also performed the procedure for acquiring the doctorate in economic-commercial science.
Economic-commercial School became the Faculty of Economics in 1947. In 1956 the School of Business was founded, with the two-year study program and curriculum that was adjusted for adult students who already had experience in business. In 1968 the two schools were merged and the Faculty of Economic Science was founded. In 1982 the Faculty of Economic Science and the Faculty for International Trade merged into the Faculty of Economics and Business.
FEB – Kennedyjev trg 6
Surface area: 30.303 m²
Seats in rooms: 4.021
Offices for faculty: 180
Number of departments: 17
Sports facilities: 4.990 m2
Restaurant: 1.650 m2
FEB - Borongaj Scientific and Educational University Campus
Surface area: 832,9 m²
Seats in rooms: 390
Offices for faculty: 5
Teaching, Scientific Research and Professional Activity
FEBUZ is organized as a single scientific and teaching entity with several individual scientific-teaching, teaching and non-teaching units and centers.
Basic organizational units of FEBUZ are departments formed as scientific-teaching units: Department of Demography, Department of Managerial Economics, Department of Economic Theory, Department of Finance, Department of Informatics, Department of Macroeconomics and Economic Development, Department of Marketing, Department of Mathematics, Department of International Economics, Department of Organization and Management, Department of Law, Department of Accounting, Department of Statistics, Department of Trade and Department of Tourism.
Apart from departments formed as scientific-teaching units, there are also departments formed as teaching units: Department of Business Foreign Languages and Department of Physical Education.
Study programs have been designed in accordance with learning outcomes and international standards, which is confirmed by accreditation. The Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb has an impressive portfolio of study programs, which reflects the broadness of knowledge and depth of expertise of our faculty and their active involvement in international trends. This, of course, is primarily a result of analyzing the needs of the entire economy.
FEBUZ organizes study programs in two educational tiers - professional degree and academic degree.
- PROFESSIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDY PROGRAMME
- PROFESSIONAL SPECIALIST GRADUATE STUDY PROGRAMME
- INTEGRATED UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE UNIVERSITY STUDY PROGRAMME
- UNDERGRADUATE UNIVERSITY STUDY PROGRAMME
- GRADUATE UNIVERSITY STUDY PROGRAMME
- UNIVERSITY SPECIALIST POSTGRADUATE STUDY PROGRAMME
- UNIVERSITY POSTGRADUATE (DOCTORAL) STUDY PROGRAMME
The Faculty of Economics & Business, as a member of the University of Zagreb, has two-level English-taught programme system:
1. Bachelor's degree in Business (BDiB) is a 4-year undergraduate study programme introduced in the academic year 2008/2009.
2. Master's degree in Business in "Managerial Informatics" is a 1-year graduate study programme introduced in the academic year 2012/2013.
3. Master's degree in Business in "Management" is a 1-year graduate study programme introduced in the academic year 2015/2016.
4. Master's degree in Business in "Trade" is a 1-year graduate study programme introduced in the academic year 2015/2016.
All study programmes are open to Croatian and international applicants.
SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Scientific and research activity at FEBUZ is conducted by faculty, scientists and associates. Their qualifications are determined by appointments in the appropriate academic rank in accordance with the Scientific Activity and Higher Education Act and in accordance with the FEBUZ Statute. Faculty research activity is conducted by work on research programs, projects, analyses and expert opinions, as well by individual research and creativity.
FEBUZ professors and assistants presented their scientific and professional papers in international conferences and scientific gatherings every year. At the same time, they published scientific and professional papers in Croatian and international journals. The FEBUZ also organizes numerous conferences, gatherings, round tables and hosts many foreign and local experts, scientists and lecturers.
FEBUZ publishes scientific periodicals and journals and supports publication of numerous textbooks by its professors for both its own students and students of other economics and business faculties and colleges in Zagreb and Croatia. In the recent few years the number of publications issued by the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb has grown significantly. This particularly applies to monographs, textbooks and proceedings from domestic and international conferences.
International cooperation is one of the key factors that guarantee, enhance and promote the quality of higher education institutions. Having recognized the significance of international cooperation, the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb carries out the following activities to enhance international cooperation:
- establishing international cooperation and intensifying partnerships with similar institutions in Europe and worldwide
- stimulating the exchange of knowledge by increasing the mobility of students, faculty and administrative staff
- developing educational programs in English
- participating in international projects, especially in the area of research and higher education
- achieving renowned accreditations guaranteeing the quality of education and research
- increasing memberships in eminent associations.
FEBUZ has signed a number of bilateral agreements, various partnerships and cooperation, and every year the growing interest of foreign students to study at the Faculty.
The International Office of the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb is the centre of administrative support for international activities of students, teaching and administrative staff. Their activities involve:
- closing bilateral agreements for the purpose of mobility
- disseminating information on international scholarships, competitions, summer schools and alike – both for students and for teaching and administrative staff of the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb
- running international competitions (ERASMUS, CEEPUS, JOSZEF, BASILEUS, the University of Zagreb’s bilaterals, FEBUZ’s competitions and the competitions of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports etc.)
- offering administrative support to foreign exchange students
- providing administrative support to study programs taught in English (BDIB, MMI)
- organizing visiting professors’ stays
- giving informational and administrative support in international projects
As early as in 2006 the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb developed a fully English taught undergraduate program in Business (EBIP/BDiB - Bachelor's degree in Business) intended for Croatian and international students. To achieve a better position on the regional market the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb passed a strategic decision in 2008 to apply for an international EPAS (European Program Accreditation System) accreditation for this program issued by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). The EPAS accreditation is awarded to those study programs in business and management that meet the following requirements: academic excellence, connections with practitioners and international orientation.
After a long process FEBUZ’s BDiB programme was awarded the EPAS accreditation on 9 February 2011 which was confi rmed by the consequent annual reaccreditations (the most recent one dating 19 February 2014).
Bachelor Degree in Business (BDiB)
Bachelor's degree in Business (BDiB) is a 4-year undergraduate study program which was introduced in the academic year 2008/2009. It is the only economics and business study program taught fully in English in the Republic of Croatia.
The Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Zagreb was rewarded the prestigious EPAS accreditation for the EBIP/BDiB programme by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) at the meeting of its Accreditation Board on 9 February 2011,
The Statute of the Faculty of Economics of the University of Zagreb entitles students to organize their own professional, sports and other not-for-profit associations within the institution and outside it.
Currently, the following student associations are active at FEBUZ:
Alumni Club – The Croatian Association of Febuz Graduates
The Croatian Student Association
Student Association Tim
University of Zagreb Student Assembly Faculty of Economics and Business Branch
Sports Society of The Faculty of Economics And Business of The University of Zagreb
Rowing Club Economist
FEBUZ also publishes several renowned and internationally recognized scientific journals:
- Acta Turistica
- Hrvatska gospodarska gibanja (Croatian Chamber of motion)
- Poslovna izvrsnost (Business Excellence)
- Tržište (Market)
- Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business (ZIREB)
- Zbornik Ekonomskog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Proceedings of Faculty of Economics in Zagreb)
- Official website (Croatian)