Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge
|Dean||Professor Geoff Hayward|
|Address||Donald McIntyre Building, Hills Road, Cambridge, United Kingdom
The Faculty of Education, is the School of Education located in Cambridge, UK. It is part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Cambridge. Established in 2001, the School is a leading provider of undergraduate and postgraduate study in education, initial teacher education and training encouraging critical reflection and attracting the most able scholars.
Courses at the School include undergraduate programme, masters and doctoral programmes, initial teacher education and training and professional development studies:
- MPhil (full-time)
- Master of Education (part-time)
- PhD (full and part-time)
- EdD (part-time)
- Undergraduate Education BA
- Postgraduate Professional Development, including an accredited Counselling Programme
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Students at the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education also join one of the Cambridge Colleges, which provides a social context for their work and an opportunity to meet students and academics from other disciplines.
The University of Cambridge Faculty of Education was formed by the merger of three prior departments: the Institute of Education, the Department of Education (initially on Trumpington Street) and the teaching interests of Homerton College. The new Faculty building was designed by Building Design Partnership, and was opened in 2005 by HRH Prince Phillip. It was named the Donald McIntyre Building in 2009.
Cambridge is widely regarded as one of the top initial teacher education and training centres in the UK. In 2017 the Faculty of Education was ranked as the top teacher trainer individual provider, in primary and secondary education, in the UK's Good Teacher Training Guide.
World university education subject rankings
The Faculty of Education at the University of Cambridge has a great international reputation. According to the latest QS World University Rankings in Education 2017 we ranked 4th. In the 2014 UK Research Excellence Framework for Education the Faculty ranked 5th. [UK REF https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/x/o/z/sub-14-01.pdf] The next REF report will be in 2021.
Research Groups, Interests and Centres
Faculty of Education has a number of research groups, research interests and research and teaching centres which bring together academics in a variety of fields. Some Faculty researchers and initial teacher educators are partnered with the University of Cambridge Primary School, opened in 2015, which is the first of its kind.
The academic groups are:
- Education, Equality & Development
- Educational Leadership, Policy, Evaluation and Change
- Pedagogy, Language and Culture in Education
- Psychology & Education
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Education
The research interest groups include:
- Creativities and Arts
- Education and International Development
- Education Policy and Evaluation
- History, Philosophy and Sociology of Education
- Psychology and Education
- Teacher and Professional Education
- Teaching and Pedagogy
The research and teaching centres are:
- Education Reform and Innovation
- Centre for Children's Literature
- Leadership for Learning: the Cambridge Network
- PEDAL: Centre for Research on Play in Education, Development and Learning
- REAL: Research for Equitable Access and Learning
Previous research centres:
- Cambridge Primary Review Trust
- Centre for Commonwealth Education (see also OER4Schools programme)
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences of the University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, retrieved 2010-10-06