Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge
|Dean||Professor Geoff Hayward|
|Location||Donald McIntyre Building, Hills Road
The Faculty of Education, is the School of Education located in Cambridge, UK. It is part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Cambridge. Established in 2001, the School is a leading provider of undergraduate and postgraduate study in education, initial teacher education and training encouraging critical reflection and attracting the most able scholars.
Courses at the School include undergraduate programme, masters and doctoral programmes, initial teacher education and training and professional development studies:
- MPhil (full and part-time)
- Master of Education (full and part-time)
- PhD (full and part-time)
- Undergraduate Education BA
- Postgraduate Professional Development
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Students at the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education also join one of the Cambridge Colleges, which provides a social context for their work and an opportunity to meet students and academics from other disciplines.
The University of Cambridge Faculty of Education was formed by the merger of three prior departments within the university, the Institute of Education, the Department of Education (initially on Trumpington Street) and the teaching interests of Homerton College. The new Faculty building was designed by Building Design Partnership, and was opened in 2005 by HRH Prince Phillip. It was named the Donald McIntyre Building in 2009.
Cambridge is widely regarded as one of the top initial teacher education and training centres in the UK. And we are ranked top for studying Education and for graduate teacher training in the UK 2015.
World university education subject rankings
The Faculty of Education at the University of Cambridge has a great international reputation. According to the latest QS World University Rankings in Education 2014, the faculty at Cambridge ranked 5th. In the 2014 UK Research Excellence Framework for Education the faculty ranked 5th. [UK REF https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/x/o/z/sub-14-01.pdf]
Research Groups and Centres
Faculty of Education has a number of research groups and research and teaching centres which bring together academics in a variety of fields
The academic groups are:
- Education, Equality & Development
- Leadership for Learning
- Pedagogy, Language, Arts & Culture
- Psychology & Education
- Science, Technology & Mathematics
The research and teaching centres are:
- The Cambridge Primary Review National Primary Network
- Centre for Children's Literature
- REAL: Research for Equitable Access and Learning
- Centre for Education and International Development
- Leadership for Learning: the Cambridge Network
Previous research centres:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences of the University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, retrieved 2010-10-06