Faculty of Law, University of Colombo
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
The Faculty of Law (also known as The Law Faculty)(නීති පීඨය Nithi Pit-haya) is one of seven faculties of the University of Colombo. Being the premier law school in the country, and the only Faculty of Law in the entire University system of the country it conducts both undergraduate and post-graduate degree programs in the field law.
Established in 1947 in the University of Ceylon as the department of law it was shortly moved to Peradeniya as part of the Faculty of Arts. However the department was later shifted to the Colombo Campus of the University of Ceylon upgrade to a Faculty of Law in 1968. The faculty maintains close links with the Colombo Law College, which conducts the law exams need for admittance as an attorney at law.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Philosophy (M Phil)
- Master of Laws (LLM)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Bachelor of Laws (External)
The Faculty of Law recently established three departments under which the Faculty conducts its studies.
- Department of Commercial Law
- Department of Private and Comparative Law
- Department of Public and International Law
Faculty Management Team
- Dean-Mr. V.T.Thamilmaran
- Head, Department of Commercial Law-Ms. W.I. Nanayakkara
- Head, Department of Private and Comparative Law- Prof. S. Scharenguivel
- Head, Department of Public and International Law- Mrs.wasantha Senaviratne
- Co-ordinator, Post-graduate Unit- Ms.S.Segarajasingham
- Acting Assistant Registrar- Ms.T.D.D. Pathiranage
- Hon. Ranil Wickremasinghe, MP - Current Prime Minister of Sri Lanka & former Leader of the Opposition
- Hon. Felix R. Dias Bandaranaike - former Cabinet Minister of Finance, Public Administration, Local Government, Home Affairs, Justice & Member of Parliament
- Hon. Sri Lankabhimanya Hon. Lakshman Kadirgamar - Distinguished diplomat, politician and lawyer
- Hon. Professor G. L. Peiris - Current Cabinet Minister of External Affairs and former Vice Chancellor of the University of Colombo
- Vidya Jyothi Professor T. Nadaraja - Chancellor of the University of Jaffna and the Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Ceylon
- Hon. Dr. Neelan Thiruchelvam - former Member of Parliament
- Hon. Justice Saleem Marsoof, PC - former Chief Justice of Sir Lanka
- Hon. Justice Suppiah Sharvananda - former Chief Justice of Sir Lanka
- Hon. Justice Mark Fernando - former Judge of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka
- Professor Savitri Goonesekere - former Vice Chancellor of the University of Colombo
- Kumar Sangakkara - Captain of the Sri Lankan national cricket team
- H.L. de Silva, PC - Ambassador / Permanent Representative to United Nations (New York)
- Professor Suri Ratnapala, Professor of Law, University of Queensland, Australia 
- Hon. Chief Justice Shirani_Bandaranayake The 43rd Chief Justice of Sri Lanka and the first female Chief Justice in Sri Lanka
- Palitha Fernando Solicitor General Sri Lanka
- "When Kadirgamar was killed, the Indian Prime Minister was moved to tears". The Island. 2005. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Lakshman Kadirgamar (1932 - 2005)". Tamil Week, D.B.S Jeyaraj. 2005. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Professor T. Nadaraja - brilliant legal mind, by H.B. de Silva Archived 2011-06-29 at the Wayback Machine.