Faculty of Management Studies – University of Delhi
|Type||Public business school|
|University of Delhi|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Faculty of Management Studies – University of Delhi (FMS Delhi or The Red Building of Dreams) is a leading business school located in New Delhi, India. It was established in 1954 under the umbrella of the University of Delhi and is often cited as one of the best business schools in India. The institute was started at the Delhi School of Economics premises under Dean A. Dasgupta of the Delhi College of Engineering (DCE).
The first set of professors were trained at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. The institute has since then expanded on the number of management courses available.
FMS offers a full-time MBA, an executive MBA, an executive MBA in health care administration and doctoral programmes. In addition to all these programs, FMS also regularly conducts Management Development Programmes.
The admission to the course is done on the basis of score in Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). FMS earlier had its own entrance exam which was discontinued starting session 2012–14. For the Doctoral program, the maximum number of Seats is 20. The candidates are required to appear in the entrance test conducted every year in November–December. However, candidates falling under some categories are exempted from appearing in this entrance test. The MBA Executive program has an intake of 159 students, whereas MBA Executive (Health Care Administration) programme has an intake of 39 students. Recently the admission process has been modified for full-time students wherein CAT weightage is 60%, while remaining is kept for past academic records, group discussions, extempore and personal interviews.
Student Life and Participation
FMS is the only business school which conducts the Management fest (Fiesta) and Cultural & Sports fest (Elysium) separately. For the sports fest, FMS being a part of University of Delhi, has access to the sports facilities of other colleges of Delhi University like Hindu College, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics and Shri Ram College of Commerce.
As a Full Time MBA student at FMS, one gets an opportunity to join the Management Science Association (MSA), a completely student run body, which coordinates all these activities. The various societies that form part of MSA at FMS are:
- Alumni Relations Cell - strengthens the relationship with alumni
- Media Relations Cell - serves as the official mouthpiece of the Management Science Association (MSA). Extensive research for surveys and establishing two-way relationship with various media houses are done by them
- Systems Society (SysSoc) - official IT and Operations Management Society)
- Cultural Society (CulSoc) - responsible for managing cultural activities (Intra as well as inter-college)
- Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell) - assists students who take up entrepreneurship as a career choice
- Finance Society (FinSoc) - for students that aspire to endorse finance as a career opportunity
- HR & OB Society (HRSoc) - provides students a snapshot of what the corporate world Club activities include a mentorship program, placement preparation, and workshops.
- The Consulting Club (ConClub) is a student-run organization with the agenda of liaising with Global Consults to increase their presence at FMS while working towards preparing the students for a career in management consulting.
- Scholastic Council (FSC) - acts as a bridge between faculty and the student community and is also an official representative of the college for liaison with international universities.
- Sports Society - conducts Intra FMS sports competition
- Team Fiesta - responsible for the successful conduction of business events
- Vihaan-The Social Service Cell - ensures greater student involvement in the welfare of the community.
Apart from these primary clubs, FMS has voluntary associations like Alpha Investment and Research Club which runs a mutual fund by themselves, Strategy Labs puts forward various live projects and business case studies and Oratory Club aims to improve literary and socio-cultural aspects.
As a founding member of the Association of Management Development Institutions of South Asia (AMDISA), FMS has collaborations with the following institutions:
- ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
- Manchester Business School, England
- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Netherlands
- Bielefeld University, Germany
- University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, USA
- California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, USA
- University of Wisconsin–Whitewater, White Water, USA
In 2005, Ministry for Human Resource Development, Govt. Of India has proposed a new chair in the name of the former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, now known as Rajiv Gandhi Chair for Technology Management and Innovation (MHRD, GOI) to promote management of innovation. The Industrial Finance Corporation of India Chair is also one of the professional chairs instituted by industry at FMS.
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2019)||8|
|Outlook India (2022)||11|
FMS Delhi was ranked 11th in Outlook India's "Top Public MBA Institutions" of 2022 and 8th in Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2019". FMS has been ranked 5th globally by CEO world magazine. As per Placement Report for 2021-23 batch, FMS Delhi achieved 100% summer internship placement, highest stipend at Rs 5 lakh.
- Amit Jain, Managing Director, L'oreal India.
- Harit Nagpal, MD & CEO, Tata Sky
- Ira Singhal, Indian Civil Services Examination Topper 2014 (conducted by UPSC)
- Mahesh Verma, VC of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Raghav Bahl, Founding/Controlling Shareholder & Managing Director, Network 18
- Sandip Das, Managing Director, Reliance Jio Infocomm
- Sandhya Devanathan, CEO of Meta Platforms India, Meta
- Sat Parashar, Head of the Banking Center at the Bahrain Institute of Banking and Finance, Director at the Indian Institutes of Management, and was also the director of the Indian Institute of Management Indore, India from 2004 to 2008.
- Sandeep A. Varma, film director and writer
- "Dean's Welcome". www.fms.edu. Faculty of Management Studies. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "The Red Building of Dreams".
- "History - Faculty of Management Studies".
- "Business Today".
- "FMS Placement Statistics - MBA Universe".
- "MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (FULL TIME) | Faculty of Management Studies".
- FMS scraps entrance exam turns to CAT
- "FMS Delhi – MBA Programme Eligibility Criteria and other Details". PaGaLGuY.
- Systems Society Official Website
- "Cultural Affairs | Faculty of Management Studies".
- "Entrepreneurs at FMS Delhi".
- "HR and OB Society - Faculty of Management Studies".
- "FIESTA - 2015 - Faculty of Management Studies".
- International Associations | Faculty of Management Studies
- http://fms.edu/sites/default/files/files/Admission%20brochure%20Full%20Time-2013%20Final%2014_09_12.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "India's best B-schools 2019: Overall Ranking 2019". Business Today. 3 November 2019.
- "Outlook-ICARE India MBA Rankings 2022: Top Public MBA Institutions Outlook India Magazine". Retrieved 9 June 2022.
- "Best Business Schools In The World For 2020 > CEOWORLD magazine". CEOWORLD magazine. 2020-03-24. Retrieved 2020-06-17.
- "FMS Delhi Achieved 100% Summer Internship Placement > India Express". Indian Express. 2021-10-21. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- "FMS Delhi FMS Delhi Placement Report 2021 > collegedunia". collegedunia. 2021-12-24. Retrieved 2021-10-21.
- Dutta, Arnab (2018-06-21). "L'Oreal India goes local; appoints Amit Jain as first Indian MD to head biz". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Media Dialogues: In conversation with Tata Sky CEO Harit Nagpal on Indian media landscape". cnbctv18.com. 2019-12-14. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "UPSC topper Ira Singhal visits FMS, her alma mater". BusinessLine On Campus.
- "Renowned Prosthodontist, Former MAIDS director Dr Mahesh Verma appointed as Vice Chancellor of Indraprastha University".
- "Network 18". Archived from the original on 2013-03-18. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Maxis' Sandip Das to head Reliance Industries' 4G mobile venture
- "Meta appoints Sandhya Devanathan as India Vice President amid massive layoffs". Business Today. 2022-11-17. Retrieved 2022-11-17.
- "Parashar to be IIM Indore's new full time director | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. PTI. Mar 28, 2004. Retrieved 2020-11-24.