The community, named after its founder, John Joseph Fairbanks, was founded in July, 1895. In 1895 Fairbanks received its first post office. In 1914 Fairbanks had 75 residents, a general store and saloon, and a grocery store. The community had 25 people in the 1920s and 1930s. In 1942 the community had 800 residents and 35 businesses in the area. In the 1950s the population decreased to 350 people. Houston annexed Fairbanks in 1956. The community began to expand around that period; in the 1960s the Fairbanks area and some surrounding communities had 1,050 residents and 45 businesses. In 1980 and 1990 1,050 people lived in Fairbanks, while more people lived in the surrounding area.
Government and infrastructure
County, state, and federal representation
Fairbanks is located in District 135 of the Texas House of Representatives. As of 2008, Gary Elkins represents the district. Fairbanks is within District 7 of the Texas Senate; as of 2008 Dan Patrick represents the district.
Fairbanks is in Texas's 7th congressional district. As of 2019, Lizzie Fletcher represents the district. The United States Postal Service operates the Fairbanks Post Office at 7050 Brookhollow West Drive in an unincorporated area.
Fairbanks is within the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District.
Until the 1930s the Fairbanks School District operated (present day) Bane Elementary and the Fairbanks High School (Later called Caverdale High School). Until the 1960s, Carverdale High School, under Cy-Fair I.S.D., operated as the African-American School during segregation in the American South. The Carverdale High School in later years was used by the Houston Community College System as its Carverdale Campus.
Lone Star College (originally the North Harris Montgomery Community College District) serves the community. The territory in Cypress-Fairbanks ISD joined the community college district in 2000. The system operates the Fairbanks Center in unincorporated Harris County; Fairbanks Center is a part of Lone Star College–CyFair.
Harris County Public Library operates the Fairbanks Branch Library at 7122 North Gessner Drive in an unincorporated area. The branch opened in 1970. Originally at 5,000 square feet (460 m2), it received an expansion in 1990, making it 7,247 square feet (673.3 m2).
Cypress Ridge High School is a high school located at 7900 North Eldridge Parkway. The school opened in 2002 and currently holds 3000+ students.
["https://web.archive.org/web/20120415142730/http://www.cfisd.net/movies/zmovies/carverdale.htm" | History of Carverdale and Fairbanks (Video by Cy-Fair ISD)]
- Fairbanks, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- City of Houston, Council District Maps, District A Archived 2012-01-31 at the Wayback Machine." City of Houston. Retrieved on November 5, 2011.
- "COUNCIL DISTRICT MAPS > DISTRICT A Archived 2008-10-13 at the Wayback Machine." City of Houston. Retrieved on November 3, 2008.
- "City Council." City of Houston. Retrieved on November 3, 2008.
- "Crime Statistics for Northwest Patrol Division." City of Houston
- "VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES PROGRAM - Citizens Offering Police Support." City of Houston.
- "Parks Map Archived 2008-07-23 at the Wayback Machine." Harris County Precinct 4. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- "Welcome to Precinct 4 Archived May 9, 2008, at the Wayback Machine." Harris County Precinct 4. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- "District 135 Archived 2009-01-06 at the Wayback Machine." Texas House of Representatives. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Senate District 7 Archived 2009-01-07 at the Wayback Machine" Map. Senate of Texas. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Congressional District 7 Archived April 17, 2006, at the Wayback Machine." National Atlas of the United States. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Post Office Location - FAIRBANKS." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- ""Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-02. Retrieved 2012-04-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)"
- "History." North Harris Montgomery Community College District. December 22, 2002. Retrieved on April 5, 2010.
- "Fairbanks Branch Library Archived 2008-05-18 at the Wayback Machine." Harris County Public Library. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.