Fairfield College Preparatory School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|Fairfield College Preparatory school|
Per Fidem Ad Plenam Veritatem
Through Faith to the Fullness of Truth
|1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, Connecticut, 06824-5157
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,
|Founder||The Society of Jesus (with permission from Rev. Maurice F. McAuliffe, bishop of Hartford)|
|President||Rev. Thomas Simisky, S.J.|
|Chairman||Robert D. Russo, Jr.|
|Principal||Dr. Robert Perrotta, EDD|
|Chaplain||Rev. Brett Stockdale S.J.|
|Enrollment||approx. 901 (2014)|
|Color(s)||Pantone 186C and White|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Dean of Academics||Dr. Donna Andrade, EDD|
|Dean of Students||Harold (Dean) Davis|
|Dean of Admissions||Gregory Marshall '73|
|Director of Athletics||Thomas Curran '05|
|Website||The Fairfield Prep Website|
Fairfield College Preparatory School (Fairfield Prep) is a Jesuit prep school located on the campus of Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut. It is an all-male school of about 900 students, first founded by the Society of Jesus in 1942. Operating with the approbation of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport, Fairfield Prep is self-sufficient with no diocesan or government financial assistance.
Fairfield College Preparatory School is part of the Quinnipiac Division in the Southern Connecticut Conference.
Prep has won a total of 16 state championships, most recent in 2014 where Prep defeated Darien 2-1 at the Ingalls Rink. Prep has had many players work their way up to the NHL, including Chris and Ted Drury, and Mark Arcobello. Matt Sather ('93) has coached the hockey team since 1999, and has won 9 state championships.
Swimming & Diving
The Jesuit swim team was coached by Bruce Jaffe for four decades, and is now coached by Rick Hutchinson ('87), who took over for the 2012-2013 season. Prep posted three straight undefeated seasons from 2007 to 2009 and won the CIAC Class L Championship in 2007. The Jesuits have placed second behind rival Greenwich High School in the CIAC Class LL Championship in each season since the Class L title in 2007. In 2012, Fairfield Prep finished undefeated for the first time since 2009, and won their 8th straight SCC championship. Before the SCC championship, Jaffe told his team he was retiring at the end of the season. The team then went on to win both the Class LL and State Open Championships.
Prep’s lacrosse program has made it all the way to the CIAC Class L Championship game in each of the past six seasons, winning the title in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013 while losing in 2010 and 2011. In 2006, Prep beat Norwalk High School 13-12 to win the first lacrosse championship in school history. The next year, Prep beat Greenwich High School 10-9 in the title game. The 2008 title game was a 15-14 triple overtime thriller versus Ridgefield High School (Ridgefield, Connecticut). The school’s fourth lacrosse championship came in a 15-3 beating of Simsbury High School in the 2009 championship game. The next two seasons, Prep lost in the state championship game, getting beaten by Cheshire High School in 2010 and Ridgefield High School (Ridgefield, Connecticut) in 2011. The team won most recently in 2013, beating Staples High School, for the schools 5th state championship. The team is coached by Christopher Smalkais, who was inducted into the Connecticut Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 2013. Fittingly, his introduction speech was given by 2011 Hall of Fame Inductee Howard Benedict, longtime New Canaan High School Lacrosse coach and a '63 Fairfield Prep alumnus.
Prep's tennis team has won nearly a dozen state championships, with the most recent in 2003. Todd Paul, Class of 2003, won the Class LL Singles Championship 4 years in a row and had a very successful career at Wake Forest University.
Prep Rugby has been around for over 30 years. They have been perennial contenders under Coach Frank Decker, and have been runner up in every state championship match except one. Arch rival Greenwich High School has stolen the championship from Prep each year. Prep rugby has many notable alumni, including Kenneth Stern '06, who attended Boston University, and plays for the Philippines national team, and Will Brazier '01, who attended Fairfield University, and played for the USA Tomahawks and the USA Falcons. The Varsity Rugby team is currently coached by Frank Decker, and Nick Cagginello '00.
The tuition for the Fairfield College Preparatory School for the 2014-2015 school year is $18,325.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
- Mark Arcobello - professional hockey player, Edmonton Oilers
- Howard Benedict '63 - Hall of Fame lacrosse coach, English teacher
- Will Brazier '01 - rugby player with USA Tomahawks and USA Falcons
- Gilroy Daly '48 - noted Connecticut judge and attorney
- Jeff Davis (writer) - creator and director of the popular show Criminal Minds
- Peter J. Denning '60 - computer scientist
- Chris Drury '94 - former professional hockey player, 1998-99 NHL Rookie of the Year, Member of Team USA in Winter Olympics
- Ted Drury '89 - former professional hockey player
- Kent Evans '93 - spoken word artist/musician, author of "A Crash Course on the Anatomy of Robots"
- Kevin Heffernan '86 - actor/comedian/film writer/attorney (Broken Lizard)
- Pat Jordan '59 - leading sports writer and acclaimed author of A False Spring, ranked #37 on Sports Illustrated's Top 100 Sports Books of All Time
- Kevin Kallaugher '73 - cartoonist for the Economist magazine
- Stephen Kellogg '94 - musician, Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers
- Craig Kinsley '07 - 2012 London Olympic track and field athlete
- Robert Kowalski '58 - logician
- William J. Lavery '55 - former Chief Judge, Connecticut Appellate Court
- Justin Long '96 - actor and spokesman for Geico
- Mike McGlone '91 - actor and spokesman for Geico
- Sean McManus* '73 - President, CBS News and CBS Sports
- Matt Merullo '83 - former major league catcher
- Brian Monahan '78 - Attending Physician of the United States Congress and Rear Admiral in the United States Navy
- Mike Porzio '90 - former MLB player (Colorado Rockies, Chicago White Sox)
- Peter Sarsgaard '89 - actor
- Bob Skoronski '52 - former professional football player, Offensive Captain of Green Bay Packers Super Bowls I & II Champions
- Chris Felner '13- Rapper better know as Felly.
Notable Former Faculty
- John McLaughlin - television talk show host and advisor to President Richard Nixon
- Francis A. Sullivan - Jesuit theologian and ecclesiologist
Notes and references
- NEASC-CIS. "NEASC-Commission on Independent Schools". Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- Chris Drury
- Fairfield College Preparatory School
- "Oilers Roster - Edmonton Oilers - Team". Oilers.nhl.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.