Fairfield Township, Huron County, Ohio
|Fairfield Township, Huron County, Ohio|
Location of Fairfield Township in Huron County
|• Total||26.0 sq mi (67.3 km2)|
|• Land||25.9 sq mi (67.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
|• Density||47/sq mi (18.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086344|
Fairfield Township is one of the nineteen townships of Huron County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population of the township was 1,218, of whom 658 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Norwalk Township - north
- Townsend Township - northeast corner
- Hartland Township - east
- Fitchville Township - southeast corner
- Ripley Township - south
- Greenfield Township - southwest corner
- Peru Township - west
- Ridgefield Township - northwest corner
The village of North Fairfield is located in western Fairfield Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Fairfield township, Huron County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Remainder of Fairfield township, Fairfield township, Huron County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Huron County, Ohio: Its Progress and Development, with Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens of the County, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 214.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.