Fairfield University Men's Rugby Football Club
|Full name||Fairfield University Men's Rugby Football Club|
|Ground(s)||Lt. Hans Grauert Field|
Fairfield University Men's Rugby Football Club (or FURFC) is a men's college rugby team based at Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut. The nickname for the FURFC is the Red Ruggers. The Red Ruggers compete in the Tri-State Conference which is governed by USA Rugby.
The FURFC celebrated its 45th Anniversary in 2008. The FURFC was established in 1963 and is the longest continuously running sport club at Fairfield University. The club has grown considerably over the past 10 years, and now includes over 50 students.
The club's motto is Consensio, Contributum et Fidelitas which captures the club's philosophy to emphasize teamwork over individual stardom, contribution more than victory, and loyalty to the club and each other.
The Red Ruggers successfully concluded the Fall 2008 season with an 8 - 1 record winning the MET NY RFU Division 2 Title and advancing to the Northeast RFU Division 2 Semifinals. During the Spring 2008 season, the Red Ruggers split two matches with the Bahamian National Team on the '08 Spring Break Rugby Tour in Nassau, Bahamas and participated in the prestigious Beast Of The East Tournament in Providence, Rhode Island. The rugby club just lost their longtime moderator Paul I Davis (PID) who was a key figure in rugby club history (1930–2008) rest in peace PID
Former Red Ruggers Paul Sheehy '81 competed for the USA Eagles at the 1991 Rugby World Cup and Will Brazier '05 competed for the United States national rugby league team at the 2004 Liberty Bell Cup.
Paul I .Davis oral history
The following conversation with longtime club supporter and moderator Paul I. Davis occurred on the eve of the 45th anniversary of the Fairfield University Rugby Club. An oral history, it captures the late Davis' historical knowledge and perspective of the rugby club. The interviewees include former players and longtime club supporters Mark Feeley, Chris Grauert, Tom Connor and Kurt Schlicting. The interview was conducted at Alumni House on the campus of Fairfield University on October 24, 2008.
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 1 of 6
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 2 of 6
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 3 of 6
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 4 of 6
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 5 of 6
- Paul I. Davis Interview Part 6 of 6
Rugby Union Titles
Rugby Union Playoffs
Northeast Collegiate All-Star
The home Rugby Pitch of the Red Ruggers is the Lt. Hans Grauert Memorial Field. Christopher Grauert, '68 and his mother, Leila B. Grauert, donated the rugby pitch to Fairfield in 2003 in honor of his brother Lt. Hans Grauert, who was a naval aviator lost at sea during the Vietnam War. During the dedication ceremony at the FURFC 40th Anniversary Celebration, Grauert read a letter written by his mother to honor the players and the esteemed tradition of hard efforts on and off the field of the Red Ruggers. In the letter, Grauert's mother wrote, "Like everyone else in this room, Hans possessed the traits which personify every rugger—athleticism, good sportsmanship, and a zest for life. This rugby pitch resides in the softest part of my heart and will always remain 'God's Little Acre' to me!"
Hall of Fame
- Paul Davis - longtime club supporter/moderator since 1963 and Professor Emeritus of History
- Christopher Galvin '72 - two-time team MVP who served as team captain and player-coach from 1971 to 1972
- Will Brazier '05 - plays for the USA Tomahawks, USA Falcons, Connecticut Wildcats and Old Blue Rugby Football Club
- Tim Kreen '67 - cofounded the Essex Rugby Club (later became the OMEX Rugby Club); cofounded the Ridgewood RAYS Rugby Association
- Paul Sheehy - played for the USA Eagles at the 1991 Rugby World Cup; member of the Washington Rugby Football Club Hall of Fame
- Brad Troup '03 - played for the Connecticut Wildcats
|2014||8||0||0||1st||Tri-State Champions||Ben Kelly||Anif McDonald|
- FURFC Spring 2008 Season in Review
- Paul Irwin Davis, men's rugby moderator profile
- A Stag scrum: Men's club rugby team continues 'banner year'
- Life Photo: Will Brazier, Phillips Kangaroos v USA Tomahawks, accessed March 27, 2011.
- Troupe rallies Stags
- Troupe rallies Stags
- Rugby celebrates 40th anniversary
- A Conversation with Paul Irwin Davis, Moderator of Fairfield University Rugby Football Club, 1968-1989
- Christopher Galvin '72, men's rugby
- Ridgewood RAYS Team History
- Scrum.com: Paul Sheehy Profile
- Washington Rugby Hall of Fame