|Compatible networks||GSM 850 900 1800 1900 |
WCDMA 900 2100
|First released||December 2013|
|Dimensions||126.0 mm (4.96 in) H |
63.5 mm (2.50 in) W
10 mm (0.39 in) D
|Mass||170 g (6.0 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 with specific extensions (Fairphone OS)|
|CPU||MediaTek MT 6589 (quad-core) 1.2 GHz|
|Removable storage||microSD up to 64 GB|
|Display||4.3 in (110 mm) diagonal IPS LCD 960×540 px qHD 256 ppi supporting 16M colours|
|External display||Dragontrail glass|
|Rear camera||8 MP AF (stabilization + image sensor)|
|Front camera||1.3 MP|
|References||Specification of FP1|
The Fairphone 1 is a touchscreen-based, slate-sized smartphone designed and manufactured by Fairphone. It was released running Android 4.2.2, with the Fairphone OS skin. It was the first phone from the social enterprise Fairphone, announced on 14 May 2013 and shipped beginning in December 2013.
- The project raised money for the initial batch of phones through pre-orders, reaching the required 5,000 on 5 June 2013. It sold the entire initial production run of 25,000 handsets on 13 November 2013, nearly a month in advance of the revised mid-December release date.
- A second production run of 35,000 phones was released for sale on 21 May 2014.
- 3D Hubs and Fairphone partnered in July 2014 to offer locally produced 3D printed cases.
- The last batch of devices of the second production run was sold in February 2015. No more Fairphone 1 were produced, with the company focusing on developing the phone's successor Fairphone 2.
In December 2014, Fairphone admitted that it had failed to convince chipset vendor MediaTek to open up the source code for first-generation Fairphones. In September 2015, Fairphone released an update indicating that they had indeed gained access to MediaTek's source code.
An update to Kitkat (Android 4.4) was announced for 2016 but was delayed because of major issues. In July 2017, Fairphone announced in an e-mail to their buyers that they were sorry not to be able to pursue the release of Android 4.4 for the Fairphone 1.
In November 2013, one of the developers of Replicant wrote a blog post in which they said that Replicant could work on the Fairphone and the bootloaders (that are not part of the operating system) may even be free software. The Fairphone team seemed "definitely interested" in helping get Replicant running on the device.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The way the USB port is soldered to the motherboard on the FP1 makes it break off easily even under light stress. Even with a new motherboard, the same problem will occur. Fairphone is not providing any replacement parts (screen, motherboard, battery) for the FP1 anymore as of July 2017.
- "60,000 Units sold". www.mobileindustryawards.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2017. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "What are the technical specifications of the Fairphone 1? – Support". 23 July 2015. Archived from the original on 23 July 2015.
- Mier, Joe. "5,000 Fairphones sold! Let's start production!". Fairphone Blog. Retrieved 5 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "First Fairphone Sells Out". Retrieved 29 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Production Update: Delivery Timeline". Retrieved 29 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morgan, Pinder. "Fairphone – Ethics Meets Technology". Capital Technologies. Archived from the original on 10 September 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- van de Weerd, Roos. "Launching Fairphone 3D-printed cases with 3D Hubs". Fairphone. Retrieved 17 October 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Our approach to developing the next Fairphone". Fairphone. Retrieved 28 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Our approach to software and ongoing support for the first Fairphones, in the official Fairphone blog.
- Long-term software support for Fairphone 1, in the official Fairphone blog.
- "Fairphone 1 upgrade to Android KitKat 4.4 coming soon". Fairphone. 30 June 2016.
- "Latest news [11-07-2017] and FAQ - Fairphone 1 KitKat 4.4.4 update". Fairphone Community Forum. 20 October 2016.
- "Fairphone 1 maintenance comes to an end". Fairphone Forum. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- About the Fairphone, in the official Replicant blog.
- "[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][WIP] Cyanogenmod 11 (4.4.4 - kitkat) for fairphone FP1". XDA Developers.