Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light
|Location||Fairport Harbor, Ohio|
|Year first lit||1925|
|Construction||Brick in Steel Frame|
|Height||42 feet (13 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth Order|
|Characteristic||White Light - (3 seconds on, 3 seconds off)|
The Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light, on Lake Erie, located near the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Grand River was built in 1925, replacing the Grand River (Fairport Harbor) Light, which still stands and is now a marine museum.
The light is automated and closed to the public. However, it is possible to walk out along the breakwater to view the structure and grounds.
In 2006, an effort began by a group of community activists to take ownership of the lighthouse with the goal of preserving the facility for future generations. The United States Coast Guard will continue to maintain the light and foghorn as a navigational aid.
In September 2009, the United States General Services Administration put the lighthouse up for public auction via an online auction. After two more auctions, a bidder secured the lighthouse in August 2011 and as of August 2012[update] is converting it into a summer residence.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Ohio". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Amateur Radio Light House Society, Fairport Harbor West Breakwater (Lake Erie) Light #ARLHS USA-280.
- Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society, World List of Lights (WLOL).
- Baker, Brandon C. (2006-04-29). "Group Aims to Save FH Structure". The News-Herald.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2009-10-06). "Lighthouse Attracts 3 Bidders". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2011-08-06). "Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse Sold to Next Highest Bidder". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2011-11-30). "Sheila Consaul Ready to Turn Fairport Lighthouse into a Summer Home". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2012-08-10). "Owner of Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse Gets to Work Fixing Up Her New Summer Home". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Harrison, Timothy, The lights and Lost Lights of Fairport Harbor, (October, 2001) Lighthouse Digest.
- Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3
- Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse (maintained by the current owner)
- Anderson, Kraig, Lighthouse Friends
- Lighthouse Depot
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Ohio". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Lake County, Ohio on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|