Fairview, Buncombe County, North Carolina
|Fairview, North Carolina|
Location in Buncombe County and the state of North Carolina
|• Total||6.2 sq mi (16.1 km2)|
|• Land||6.2 sq mi (16.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,208 ft (673 m)|
|• Density||430/sq mi (166.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1020197|
Fairview is a census-designated place (CDP) in Buncombe County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 2,678 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Asheville Metropolitan Statistical Area. The unincorporated CDP of Fairview (Buncombe County) should not be confused with the town of Fairview (in Union County), which incorporated in 2001.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,495 people, 907 households, and 684 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 401.6 people per square mile (155.1/km2). There were 971 housing units at an average density of 156.3 per square mile (60.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.15% White, 0.44% African American, 0.48% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.52% of the population. 23.4% were of American, 11.1% English, 11.1% German, 10.9% Scotch-Irish, 8.6% Irish, 5.5% Polish, and 3.4 Albanian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 907 households out of which 35.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.1% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.5% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 86.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,818, and the median income for a family was $51,768. Males had a median income of $31,615 versus $25,305 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $21,029. About 8.1% of families and 9.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.5% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Fairview CDP, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Neufeld, Rob (April 18, 2016). "Visiting Our Past: Oakley remade through the ages". Asheville Citizen-Times. Retrieved May 11, 2016.