Fairview High School (Boulder, Colorado)
|Fairview High School|
|1515 Greenbriar Boulevard
Boulder, Colorado 80305
|Established||1960 (57 years ago)|
|School district||Boulder Valley|
|Color(s)||Red and white
|Athletics||CHSAA Class 5A|
|Feeder schools||Southern Hills (Middle)|
|Elevation||5,480 ft (1,670 m) AMSL|
|Website||Fairview High School|
Fairview High School is a public, coeducational, comprehensive BVSD secondary school located in Boulder, Colorado, 26 miles (40 km) northwest of Denver. More than two thousand students attend the school. It is in the 5A category of the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA).
In 2015 the Washington Post named Fairview the 340th 'most challenging' high school to attend in the United States. The 2014 US News ranking placed Fairview among the top three public high schools in Colorado, 205th in the United States, and 122nd nationally in STEM education. Fairview High School was ranked by Newsweek magazine as the 2nd best high school in Colorado and the 98th in the nation. More than 79% of all seniors passed an AP or IB test.
International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement programs
Fairview High School is one of around twenty schools in Colorado which offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The school also offers a pre-IB program composed of two years of preparatory honors classes taken during the ninth and tenth grades. Students have the opportunity to enroll in a mixture of IB, AP regular classes or both.
|2012-2013 academic year|
|Two or more ethnicities||5|
- Boys' cross country
- Girls' cross country
- Boys' golf
- Boys' soccer
- Boys' tennis
- Cheer/Pom Squad
- Boys' basketball
- Girls' basketball
- Boys' wrestling
- Girls' swimming and diving
- Boys' hockey
- Boys' swimming and diving
- Boys' lacrosse
- Girls' golf
- Girls' soccer
- Girls' tennis
- Boys' track and field
- Girls' track and field
|Sport||No. of Championships||Year|
|Cross country, boys'||2||2000, 2001|
|Cross country, girls'||6||1980, 1982, 1984, 1999, 2001, 2005|
|Football||3||1978, 1979, 1987|
|Swimming, girls'||1||2004, 2016|
|Track & field, boys'||2||1985, 1990|
|Track & field, girls'||1||1990|
|Gymnastics, boys' (former)||2||1965, 1966|
- Lada Adamic, network scientist
- Natalia Toro (1999) - physicist at the Perimeter Institute
Entertainment and music
- Jessica Biel (born 1982, class of 2000) - actress, played the role of Mary Camden in the television drama 7th Heaven Biel never fully attended Fairview, she was only tutored there.
- Jill Goodacre (born 1964, class of 1982) - former model and actress, married to musician Harry Connick, Jr.
- Sheryl Lee (born 1967, class of 1985) - actress, played Laura Palmer on TV show Twin Peaks
- Jacob Sproul (born 1983), rhythm guitarist and vocalist of rock band Rose Hill Drive.
- Joan Van Ark (born 1943, class of 1961) - actress, most notable for her role as Valene Ewing in the primetime soap opera Knots Landing
- Sheree J. Wilson (born 1958, class of 1977) - played April on the TV series Dallas, and Alex on Walker, Texas Ranger
- Joe Barry (born 1970), assistant head coach and linebackers coach for the Los Angeles Rams.
- Kenny Bell (born 1992, class of 2010) - wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Tony Boselli (born 1972, class of 1991) - offensive tackle drafted 2nd overall in the 1995 NFL Draft and first overall in the 2002 NFL Expansion Draft; five-time Pro Bowler (1996-2000); three-time All-Pro (1997–99); his career was cut short due to injuries following the 2002 season
- Tom Chambers (born 1959, class of 1977) - basketball player, drafted 8th overall in the 1981 NBA Draft, made four All-Star Games and played for the 1992-93 Phoenix Suns team that went 62-20 and lost to the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals
- Jesse Crain (born 1981, class of 1999) - former MLB pitcher for the Minnesota Twins and the Chicago White Sox.
- Daryl Dickey (born 1961), football administrator, former coach and former player who served as the head football coach at the University of West Georgia from 2008 through the 2013 season.
- Chris Foote (born 1956), former football center who played in the NFL for the Baltimore Colts, New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings
- Jay Howell (born 1955), three-time All-Star MLB pitcher
- Scott Lockwood (born 1968) - former NFL running back who played two seasons with the New England Patriots
- Dustin Lyman - NFL football player who played for five seasons for the Chicago Bears
- John Mozeliak (born 1969, class of 1987) - general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals; 2011 World Series champion
- Chuck Pagano (born 1960, class of 1978) - NFL head coach, Indianapolis Colts, 2012- 
- John Pagano (born 1967, class of 1985) - defensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers
- Cat Zingano (born 1982) - wrestler; professional mixed martial arts fighter, currently competing in the UFC's bantamweight division
- "National Schools: Get Challenge Index scores for more than 2300 high schools nationwide". apps.washingtonpost.com. Washington Post. 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Fairview High School Overview". usnews.com Website. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- 2013 America's Best High Schools - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- "Fairview Honors Program". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Fairview High School: Student Body". usnews.com. US News & World Report. 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "WayBackMachine" (PDF). web.archive.org. chsaa.org. 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 December 2008. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Fairview Girls 2010 High School State Champions". http://soccer-channel.com. Soccer-channel.com. Archived from the original on 16 January 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2014. External link in
- Honan, William H. (9 March 1999). "A 14-Year-Old Wins Top Prize In Intel Contest". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Natalia Toro followed a far-from-ordinary path from CU high school concurrent student to particle physicist". Continuing Education at Colorado. University of Colorado. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Gorzkowski, Waldemar; Tichy-Rács, Ádám. "IPhO LIST OF WINNERS IN 1ST – 41ST INTERNATIONAL PHYSICS OLYMPIADS" (PDF). JYU. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Natalia Toro". Cogito.org. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- James Brady (July 10, 2005). "In Step With: Jessica Biel". Parade Magazine. Archived from the original on 17 October 2006.
- CBS Denver (December 2, 2013). "Famous Coloradans". CBS Local.
- Garcia, Keith. "From Felicity to Foxy Brown, Five Colorado Actresses Who Made Their Name in Hollywood", Westword, January 30, 2015. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Sheryl Lee Perhaps the Fairview High grad with the most obsessive fans around the world is Lee, whose big break came when auteur David Lynch cast the aspiring actress as the doomed Laura Palmer in the most talked-about TV show in years, Twin Peaks."
- Gassman, Ian. "From The Who tour to Larimer Lounge: Boulder’s Rose Hill Drive is back after 6 years", Denver Post, December 14, 2016. Accessed May 4, 2017. "The Sproul brothers met Barnes while attending Boulder’s Fairview High School and began practicing in that (since demolished) house way back in 2000."
- Heckel, Aimee. "Heckel: Don't you wish your girlfriend was classy like me?", Daily Camera, November 15, 2007. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Van Ark, a Fairview High School graduate, is known for her signature outfit: long-legged pants suits with a jacket, just above the knees."
- http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/barry_joe00.html Joe Barry], USC Trojans football. Accessed May 4, 2017. "He was a 2-time (1987-88) All-Colorado pick at Fairview High in Boulder after earning All-Iowa second team honors as a 1986 sophomore at Ames (Ia.) High."
- Nguyen, Joe. "Former Fairview star WR Kenny Bell drafted by Tampa Bay", Denver Post, May 2, 2015. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Former Fairview High School star wide receiver Kenny Bell was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round with the 162nd pick in the 2015 NFL draft."
- Crowe, Jerry. "The Line on Boselli Turned Out to Be True : USC: Hard-working redshirt freshman has more than lived up to great expectations.", Los Angeles Times, October 11, 1991. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Boselli came to USC from Fairview High in Boulder, where he carried a 3.5 grade-point average. Fairview is also the alma mater of Chris Foote, a starter at center for USC in the late 1970s, and Scott Lockwood, who was the Trojans' starting fullback before he was sidelined by knee surgery two weeks ago."
- Clarke, Norm. "Colorado's All Time Top Prep Star? Tom Chambers - By A Spurt", The Seattle Times, February 25, 1990. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Midway through high school, Tom Chambers gave little indication he was destined to become the greatest basketball player ever to come out of Colorado. 'After his sophomore season, he was a 6-2 guard,' remembers Tom McCracken, Chambers' coach at Fairview High School in Boulder."
- Renck, Troy E. "Jesse Crain being shopped by White Sox, could return to Colorado", Denver Post, July 15, 2013, updated April 29, 2016. Accessed May 4, 2017. "Crain, a former star at Boulder’s Fairview High School, has thought about it."
- Daryl Dickey, Florida State Seminoles football. Accessed May 4, 2017. "He played high school football at Buchholz High in Gainesville, Fla., but graduated from Fairview High in Boulder, Colo."
- Chris Foote, Th Pro Football Archives. Accessed May 5, 2017.
- Jay Howell, Baseball-Reference.com. Accessed May 4, 2017.
- Crowe, Jerry. "Fullback Lockwood Has Come Full Cycle : USC: He came here to be a tailback, but he's playing a major role in his new position and learning to like it.", Los Angeles Times, October 19, 1990. Accessed May 4, 2017. "One reason Scott Lockwood turned down a scholarship offer from Colorado after an all-star career at Fairview High School in Boulder, Colo., was that the Buffaloes wanted him to play fullback."
- Rusch, Emilie. "Former NFL player named CEO of Broomfield-based Famous Brands; Dustin Lyman, who attended Fairview High School in Boulder, joined Famous Brands in 2013", Denver Post, September 21, 2016. Accessed May 4, 2017.
- Renck, Troy E. "John Mozeliak of Boulder rose quickly to GM of St. Louis Cardinals", Denver Post, October 28, 2013, updated April 28, 2016. " John Mozeliak entered Major League Baseball through a side door as the assistant of anything available. Two decades later, the Fairview High School graduate is at the center of everything with the St. Louis Cardinals."
- "Chuck Pagano, graduate of Boulder's Fairview High, hired as Indianapolis Colts coach", Daily Camera, January 25, 2012.
- John Pagano bio at San Diego Chargers (accessed 2012-12-22).
- "Cat Zingano UFC Bio". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-01-01.