|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Also known as||Fantasia|
|Genres||Symphonic power metal|
|Past members||Thomas Caesar
Elisa C. Martin
After going through several line-up changes in the 2000s, the band turned into a one-man musical project, when Giordana parted ways with the rest of the band in 2007. He subsequently released Score to a New Beginning in 2009 as Fairyland, with guest musicians and singers. In 2015 however, Fairyland became a band once again with a full line-up, including Lievin, returning for the first time since 2004.
The band was created in 1998 as "Fantasia" by keyboardist Philippe Giordana together with bassist/drummer Willdric Lievin. The two musicians shared the same passion for epic and symphonic Heavy Metal. Following the release of their first demo, Tribute to Universe, their basic metal style began evolving into something more fantastic and symphonic, as in Realm of Wonders.
Through various metal contacts, Fantasia enlisted guitarist Anthony Parker (Heavenly) and soon gave up looking for a label to enter Wizard Studio in Feb. 2002. During the recordings of their debut, the band began looking for a vocalist and they found Elisa C. Martin, already known for her work with the successful Spanish power metal band Dark Moor. Around that time, the band's name was changed to "Fairyland".
With their first full-length complete, they signed on with Denmark-based Intromental Management, and shortly thereafter secured a recording contract with the French label N.T.S. (now Replica Records).
Internal band problems led to both Willdric Lievin and Elisa C. Martin leaving the band. The band continued on without them to finish the recordings for the new concept album The Fall of an Empire, again composed by Philippe Giordana and Anthony Parker, who had gathered a new line-up composed of vocalist Max Leclerqc (formerly of Magic Kingdom), drummer Pierre-Emmanuel "Piwee" Desfray, and bassist Thomas "Tom" Cesario.
The unreleased album soon caught the attention of the Austrian-based label Napalm Records, who signed the band and released The Fall of an Empire in the fall of 2006, along with a re-release of Of Wars in Osyrhia. A European tour with Kamelot and Leaves' Eyes soon followed.
Shortly after the tour and the outstanding media feedback that followed the album, Philippe and the rest of the band parted ways. As the sole composer of Fairyland material, finding a new line-up would not pose much of a problem for Philippe Giordana. Yet after working on the new material, he decided to take a completely different approach by enlisting instead the services of guest musicians for his latest release. The album Score to a New Beginning was completed in 2009, keeping the same musical style of its predecessors.
In 2015, Fairyland became a full band once again, with Giordana being rejoined by Fairyland co-creator Willdric Lievin, who had left the band in 2004, and by new members Francesco Cavalieri, Jean-Baptiste Pol, and Sylvain Cohen. The group immediately went on to work on their next album. On May 31, 2016, the first song from the album, "Heralds Of The Green Lands", was released on YouTube.
- Philippe Giordana - keyboards, backing vocals (1998-present), acoustic guitars (2007-present)
- Willdric Lievin - bass, backing vocals (2003, 2015-present), guitars, drums (1998-2003; guest member: 2009), Vocals (1998-2003)
- Francesco Cavalieri - lead vocals (2015-present)
- Sylvain Cohen - guitars (2015-present)
- Jean-Baptiste Pol - drums (2010-present)
- Thomas Caesar - bass (1998-2003, 2005-2007), guitars (2003)
- Elisa C. Martin - lead vocals (2003)
- Anthony Parker - guitars (1998-2007)
- Max Leclerq - lead vocals (2004-2007)
- Pierre-Emmanuel Desfray - drums (2004-2008)
- Marco Sandron - vocals (2009-2015)
- Fabio D'Amore - bass (2009-2015)
- Chris Menta - guitar (2009-2015)
- Realm of Wonders (2000, demo)
- Of Wars in Osyrhia (2003)
- The Fall of an Empire (2006)
- Score to a New Beginning (2009)
- "French Symphonic Metal Band Fairyland to Continue as Solo Project". Retrieved 2013-10-30.