|Born||Faisal Abdul Razzak Saif Al Zedjally
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film critic|
|Awards||Indianapolis LGBT Film Festival Best Story (2006)
Indian Leadership Conclave Best Director (2015)
Faisal Saif is an Indian film director, film critic and writer. He mostly chooses controversial themes and stories for his films and gained notice with the movies Jigyaasa, Main Hoon Rajinikanth and critically acclaimed international film Islamic Exorcist.
Saif started his career as an independent music video director. He directed videos for Catrack Music and Vital Records.
Saif made his first feature film Come December in 2003 which received the International Special Award of Cultural Vision in storytelling from the Indianapolis LGBT Film Festival. He then made Jigyaasa (2006). India media believed that Jigyaasa was based on the life of the sex symbol Mallika Sherawat, but Faisal has denied this. He made the film Paanch Ghantey Mien Paanch Crore with Pakistani actor Meera.
During creative sessions with veteran filmmaker Rituparno Ghosh while he was directing Chitrangada: The Crowning Wish in 2012, Saif discussed having a transgender antagonist dealing their gender identity with Ghosh, something which Saif later incorporated in his upcoming film Amma. The character is played by acclaimed actor Rajpal Yadav.
Awards and honors
In 2006, Saif won the Best Story in cultural vision international award for his Festival Film Come December from Indianapolis LGBT Film Festival. Network 7 Media Group awarded Saif the "Best Director" title in 2015 at the 6th Annual Indian Leadership Conclave.
Main Hoon Rajinikanth
On 17 September 2014, Tamil actor Rajinikanth moved the Madras High Court to stop the release and screening of the film Main Hoon Rajinikanth directed by Saif stating that various press releases, video releases, web articles, posters and information from other sources about this film revealed that the producer had lifted/exploited the image of Rajinikanth from various movies by including in the forthcoming feature film.
Saif, after filing counter to the case denied the allegation about the film being a biopic on the superstar, He also stated he hasn't used any names/image/likeness/caricature and the case being filed on the film is baseless and done with lack of knowledge
On 3 February 2015, Madras High Court ruled out the decision in favor of Rajinikanth and restricted Faisal against using the actors name in his upcoming film. Saif, however agreed finally to change his film's title under the pressure of his film's producers
Bigg Boss 8
On 20 November 2014, Saif was supposed to enter the Indian reality show Bigg Boss as a Wild Card contestant Saif, however praised the show by refusing his participation and quoted "Why would I be a wild card contestant when Rajinikanth has proved the world that I am a strongest contender?".
For Adults Only
In 2015, Saif announced plans to make a film titled For Adults Only. Few details were released about the nature of the proposed film, but media outlets quoted Saif in describing it as "bold" and "dirty". On social media outlet Facebook, Saif called the film "The most dirtiest film you'll ever see". Saif planned to write and direct the film, and said that the film was slated for production by Dimension Films, which would have been the company's first Bollywood film, according to Saif. The film was planned to be produced in Hindi, Telugu and Tamil and released in 2016.
On 1 September 2015, Saif officially announced that the film had been shelved in deference to conservative Indian sentiments and the Indian censor board.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
As director and writer
|2006||Jigyaasa||Hindi||(Released on 10 March 2006)|
|Come December||Hindi, English||(Festival Film) Indianapolis LGBT Film Festival Award Winner|
|2012||Paanch Ghantey Mien Paanch Crore||Hindi||(Released on 10 August 2012)|
|2015||Main Hoon Rajinikanth||Hindi||(Released on 22 May 2015)|
|Amma||Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam||On Hold|
|2017||Islamic Exorcist||English||(Released on 11 July 2017)|
|2017||Sheitaan ||Urdu||Sameer Khan|
- "International Award for 'Come December' | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | Celebrity News". BollywoodHungama.com. 24 November 2006. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- "Much ado about Mallika – The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Top 10 Bollywood's hottest scenes of 2012 – Top Lists. The Times of India (18 December 2012).
- "Why's Rajpal Yadav playing a transgender?". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- "International Award for 'Come December'". BollywoodHungama.com. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
- "Network 7 Media Group ury to felicitate noted Filmmaker Faisal Saif at ILC Power Brand 2015 Edition". ilc2015.in. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- "Faisal Saif bags the Best Director award at 6th Annual ILC Awards 2015". Justbollywood.in. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Superstar Rajinikanth moves Madras high court to stop release of Bollywood movie named after him". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- "'Main Hoon Rajinikanth' is not a biopic: Director Faisal Saif". Network 24. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- "Rajinikanth wins legal battle against Main Hoon Rajinikanth makers". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Bigg Boss 8: Fifth wild card contestant Faisal Saif to enter the house with Kim Kardashian". DNA. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- "Bigg Boss 8: Faisal Saif not going to the house,says he doesn't need it". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2014-11-21.
- "Shocking: A film titled For Adults Only". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- "Faisal Saif plans to cast foreign actress for next". Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- "Faisal Saif's 'For Adults Only' shelved". Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- "Nirob in Faisal Saif's 'Sheitaan'". The Daily Star. Retrieved 8 July 2016.