|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Number of Tehsils||6|
|• District Coordination Officer||Salman Ghani|
|Time zone||PKT (UTC+5)|
|Languages (1981)||98.2% Punjabi|
Faisalabad District (Urdu: ضلع فیصل آباد) is one of the districts of Punjab province, Pakistan. According to the 1998 census of Pakistan it had a population of 3,029,547 of which almost 42% were in Faisalabad City. It is the third largest city of Pakistan after Karachi and Lahore.
The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the Muslim refugees settled in the Faisalabad District. It initially lacked industry, hospitals and universities. Since independence, there has been industrial growth, and the city's population is continually growing.
Initially a part of Jhang District, it gained the status of a separate district in 1904.:1 In 1982 Toba Tek Singh District (until then a tehsil of Faisalabad) was created as a separate district from Faisalabad. As of 2006 it is a city district consisting of the city of Faisalabad.
According to the 1998 census, Punjabi is the first language of 98% of the population, and Urdu of 1.2%.:23–24 Urdu as the national language and English as the official language is taught in all schools.
Until divisions were abolished in the year 2000 it was part of Faisalabad Division.
- Madina Town
- Jinnah Town
- Iqbal Town
- Chak Jhumra Town
- Jaranwala Town
- Samundri Town
- Tandlianwala Town
- Faisalabad, Punjab Police profile
- Stephen P. Cohen (2004). The Idea of Pakistan. Brookings Institution Press. p. 202. ISBN 0815797613.
- Urban Resource Centre (1998 census details) Archived May 13, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- 1998 District Census report of Faisalabad. Census publication. 116. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 2000.
- "Mother tongue": defined as the language of communication between parents and children.
- CDG Faisalabad | Welcome...
- Faisalabad District - profile on Dawn.com